Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Bear Cannisters - AArrghh!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Bear Cannisters - AArrghh!

Postby Phil » Tue May 24, 2016 9:10 am

Another thing about any larger bear canister, regardless of brand, is what else you can fit into it. Weight is always a factor with just about any gear. I think that's a given that we can all agree on. And if it's just food, etc, within reason, as small as you can go and still take what you need for the time you're out is best. But when you start narrowing the diameter of the opening or the canister itself, you get limited in not only access, but in function. If you're splitting hairs for an inch of diameter or length, you have to remember that a larger opening is going to facilitate more than food. And that's a nice option, IMO. Sure the can is a bulky pain, but the gear that gives me the most trouble in fitting somewhere into my pack and taking up awkward volume are things like a few of my stoves, pots, bowls, mugs, canisters...If I can cram it into an only partially full canister, I will, as long as I can get it in there to begin with. This is especially true as the days go by and the can empties. I have more volume with the can upfront, but I can potentially offset that by what I save in being able to fit into it besides food...it's got to go somewhere. And that's the entire basis for the concept of "nesting". I liken it to a few things: Too small a pack and having to strap gear all over the outside of it to carry what I need, too small a stuff sack for my bag and a constant daily fight to make it fit, and traveling with one bigger suitcase instead of several smaller ones. I still need to bring what I need to bring, but compartmentalizing/consolidating gear and optimizing space is just so much cleaner and functional, and if that means a slightly larger bear canister that helps facilitate that at times, so be it.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue May 24, 2016 11:05 am

We do the same thing, Phil.

I carry the food and tent for our trips, my wife carries the stove and "kitchen." But as the food disappears from the can, I take on a gas canister and other items to lighten her load....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jgaffney » Tue May 24, 2016 5:21 pm

I also start cramming other stuff into the canister toward the end of the trip. But, my issue is the overall size of the canister. When I go out for 4-6 nights, I take the Garcia canister, which requires the big backpack. I want the smaller canister for those 2-3 night trips, when I'd rather carry the smaller backpack. The rest of the gear remains the same. It's that big cylinder in the middle of the pack that uses up the most room.
jgaffney
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Tue May 24, 2016 9:14 pm

jgaffney wrote:I want the smaller canister for those 2-3 night trips, when I'd rather carry the smaller backpack.

That would be the Z30 you mentioned in your first post?

I hear what you're saying. The smallest pack I can reasonably fit everything into with a bear can is 50L. You're saying that you want it to fit into a Z30 (a day pack) with room to spare for 2-3 days? It sucks carrying a bear can, and I can understand you wanting to get it as small as possible, as well as being fully aware of the spatial implications myself, but with all due respect, I don't think you're being realistic in that expectation. You can rejigger everything you carry to the point where it's almost next to nothing, but in this case, it's the pack you're wanting to fit any canister whatsoever into that's the problem.

Is that the case, or am I missing something entirely?
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking