Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Travel Time

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Travel Time

Postby BobH60 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:01 pm

Good Afternoon,

My wife and I will be staying in Yosemite West. Can you give me an idea of the travel time to the following trailheads:

Cloud Rest at Tenaya Lake

Half Dome (Curry Village)

Can you give me an idea of what time we should start hiking for these peaks ? We will be hiking in June.

Thanks,
Bob
BobH60
Regular
Regular

Re: Travel Time

Postby dan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:37 am

From Yosemite West (near Chinquipin--the Glacier Point Road junction), it's a half hour to the Valley, including Curry Village, in good weather (no rain).

It's 2 hours to Tuolumne Meadows--and about 15 minutes less to Tenaya Lake.

For Cloud's Rest, you'll do fine if you start by 9am.

For Half Dome, I'd like to start early around 6am. It takes me about 12 hours to do the hike, but I take my time and spend at least an hour on top--usually more. You also avoid any afternoon thunderstorms (and lightening), which often happens in summer, and avoid the long midday backup of people waiting to go up the cables. You'll do OK if you start by 9am though, but you may be coming back in the dusk. Usable daylight lasts until 8 or 9 pm.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Travel Time

Postby BobH60 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:02 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the advice.

Bob
BobH60
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking