Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Snow Level

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Snow Level

Postby oakroscoe » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:34 pm

Dan, or anyone else, got a question regarding the current snow level above Hetch Hetchy. Anyone know where its at? Last week in February I have some time off...

Anyways, I remember Hetch Hetchy elevation being at roughly 4000, and those switchbacks have to at least be another 800 feet. Thanks for the info, if anyone has got it.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Snow Level

Postby dan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:14 pm

I don't know, but It should be about the same as Yosemite Valley, which you can see with the webcams. Hetch Hetchy is only 200 feet lower or so.

There is a problem with the hiker's tunnel on the opposite side of the dam. To quote:
Due to a minor collapse in the pedestrian tunnel at Hetch Hetchy, the trail to Wapama and Tueealala Falls will be inaccessible from O'Shaughnessy Dam until further notice. Crews from Hetch Hetchy Water & Power and the NPS are working together the monitor the area and safely address the situation. Access to the tunnel will be restored as soon as possible. (J. Treutelaar - 1/16/08)
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Snow Level

Postby oakroscoe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:50 pm

dan wrote:I don't know, but It should be about the same as Yosemite Valley, which you can see with the webcams. Hetch Hetchy is only 200 feet lower or so.

There is a problem with the hiker's tunnel on the opposite side of the dam. To quote:
Due to a minor collapse in the pedestrian tunnel at Hetch Hetchy, the trail to Wapama and Tueealala Falls will be inaccessible from O'Shaughnessy Dam until further notice. Crews from Hetch Hetchy Water & Power and the NPS are working together the monitor the area and safely address the situation. Access to the tunnel will be restored as soon as possible. (J. Treutelaar - 1/16/08)

Dan, thank you so much for the info on the tunnel, I hadn't heard about that. If I'm up there, I'll ask about the extent of the damage and the ETA til its repaired and get the info up here.

I guess we'll end up going to Preston Falls in Stanislaus National Forest. Its very low elevation, barely 3000 off the the Early Intake Road going into Cherry Lake Rd.

Thanks again for the heads up.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking