Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Trip advice on the 120 area, July 16-24

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Trip advice on the 120 area, July 16-24

Postby ELEMENOHPEE » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:20 am

Hello. I have a few questions for my upcoming trip. I will be leaving July 16. Trying to figure a few things out. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Want to ask about trail conditions going to Matthes lake from Cathedral TH. Will it be muddy, boggy, and flooded past the Cathedral pass going toward Echo to Matthes? Last year it was no problem this same time of year.

Running out of options on day hikes along the 120, so another hike we’re looking at is the Kuna lake area. Spillway, Helen, Kuna lake. Just bounce from one lake to another. Is this area worth the trouble? It looks like a rocky hike after Spillway lake. How is the scenery factor? Ive done some research online and seen photos.

Lastly we are looking at a 3 night backpack. Not going for permits until the day of which will be a Thursday morning, at 8am. So, thinking ill be able to get a young lakes permit for 4. What other permits are easily obtainable the day of, for 4.

Looking at getting permits for young lakes. Our plan is day 1 (Thursday) hike to upper young lake and bagging White mountain. Day 2 (Friday) trek to Roosevelt lake and possibly hike North peak this day, or just set up camp and wake up early to hike North peak on day 3 (Saturday). Then hike back to young lake on day 3 (Saturday). Wake up early hike out on day 4 (Sunday).

This sounds good , right? Looks good. Not too much, not too little. I guess my questions are snow conditions on White and North peaks, and route up. Is it doable this time of year with the snow, on the class 2 routes. Not rock climbing, just hiking to the top. I believe for North peak well go to don’t be a smart pass, then take the S/ SW face? And for White go straight up from young lake to the ridge just north of White, then take the ridge up? Or just go straight up the western face from young lake area?

And camping spots at Roosevelt. Any good ones?

Thanks again,

Josh
ELEMENOHPEE

Re: Trip advice on the 120 area, July 16-24

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:16 am

You might find a little more water and mosquitoes up by Echo than you did last year, but nothing to get too concerned over.

Why don't you guys just come in at Gaylor/ Granite Lakes and make a big cross- country loop over to Young Lakes, then out from there? Add a day or two to your permit and catch everything you want to do, see, climb in a single shot. Nice! Not enough snow to worry about on S/SW aspects that far into the summer.

Best sites at Roosevelt/Lane are by the Conness Creek outlet.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ELEMENOHPEE » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:38 am

We have some non backpackers coming with us until Wednesday night, so we have to show them around. Was thinking Matthes if its not too boggy. I know its 14 miles but they can handle that. Or kuna lake area if its worth the trouble.
ELEMENOHPEE

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:50 pm

Matthes will be fine if they're good with the mileage.

I'm not super familiar with that entire area, but that's some amazingly rugged and rocky terrain over there by Kuna and Mammoth. Much different geology. More volcanic and decomposing granite...true Pacific Crest type stuff typical of what you would find on the eastern side of the park. Worth checking out if your friends are up for it.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking