Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Clouds Rest water and camp spot

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Clouds Rest water and camp spot

Postby HollyR » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:50 am

Can anyone tell me water options close to clouds rest summit? if any? I saw this description, which sounds like a great camping spot, but wondering if last water option is all the way back at sunrise creek?

"Sunrise Lakes to Cloud’s Rest (5.8 mi/9.3 km). When you are ready to leave Sunrise Lakes you will head southwest on the trail and quickly pass the third and final lake. You will head south for about 2.2 miles and then continue southwest towards Cloud's Rest. The trail winds through the forest and the elevation gain is slow and steady until the last half mile. The final portion of the trail narrows to about 20 feet in diameter as you reach the summit. Cloud’s Rest sit’s at 9,926 feet so it gives you a great view of the surrounding area, which includes Tenaya Canyon and the iconic Half Dome. As you descend the south side of the mountain there is a great spot to camp about half a mile down from the summit. You are low enough on elevation where you can start a fire in the existing fire ring, and you can go to sleep and wake up with a front row view of Half Dome. This campsite is easily recognizable and is approximately 200 feet west of the main trail."

Thanks!
Holly
HollyR

Re: Clouds Rest water and camp spot

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:13 am

This is a really popular question, there are probably a dozen threads in the forum on water near Clouds Rest. Yes, Sunrise Creek is where you'll need to get the water before you head to the camping spot you describe.

If you're going now, I hope you're prepared to sleep cold -- perching on the edge of a canyon can be breezy and nights are already plunging below 32F up there. Fires are a poor way to cope -- a hot water Nalgene in the sleeping bag does a much, much better job and doesn't run the risk of sending sparks flying on the breeze into a very very very very very dry forest aka tinder box...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Caminante » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:00 pm

FWIW, this is a website that I use in the Smokies pretty reliably. In particular, it's nice because it gives forecasts by mountain at different elevations. Definitely looking a bit nippy this weekend as AlmostThere mentions!

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/ ... casts/3025
Caminante
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Directionally:

From the JMT x Cloud's Rest junction- Sunrise Creek, and possibly, a small trailside spring about two miles up. Hope for the latter if you need it, but by no means should you count on it for more than anything but a possible supplement to what you're already carrying.

From the JMT x Forsyth Trail junction- Sunrise Creek only.

From Sunrise Lakes- A small pond roughly a mile past the Sunrise Trail junction where it descends to the trailhead at Tenaya. Usually, there's also a stream about another half mile past that towards CR, but current reports are indicating that it's not a reliable source at this time. From that campsite, this is also where you would go if you find yourself short.

That's it. Bring extra Nalgenes. For CR, I usually figure on an absolute minimum of 3L per person, all things considered: hike in, dinner, breakfast, hike out till next water.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby HollyR » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:27 am

Thanks all for the information. we are planning for some very cold nights, as temperatures are dropping quickly at night. I may end up buying a liner, as my 20 degree bag might not be enough. :-(

According to today's report, and hopefully it stays that way for a week:
"Water is available in Sunrise Creek at the Clouds Rest/JMT junction."

My concern is once we go up and over Clouds Rest, heading for LYV, where will we find water on the trail? Will it be all the way down at LYV area or something before there? thanks.

Holly
HollyR

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:29 am

It's not that far from Clouds Rest to LYV that I would even worry about water. Yes, you won't find water until you get to the Merced River.

Liners are hyped by retailers but don't add much warmth, and get tangled and twisted up. A real sleeping bag is better. I start carrying around a 0 degree in October. You'd be better off with heavyweight base layer and wearing your jacket to bed than a liner. Or rent a 0 degree bag from somewhere like lowergear.com.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:01 pm

No, the CR x JMT junction is two miles up from LYV. That's your next reiable water after CR. Then it's the Merced at LYV itself.

Yeah, it's not too far from CR to LYV that you'll become dangerously dehydrated, but I'm not one to run dry for more than a little bit. It weirds me out, and I sip constantly out of habit.

And yes, I completely agree, liners are silly. The warm Nalgene and/or lightweight jacket/heavy socks/stuff your clothing in the footbox of your bag method works a lot better.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby HollyR » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:20 pm

Well its great to hear that the liners may be a complete waste of money, they are not cheap, so I'll pass. Weather might be coming in around 40, so I'll go with wearing my down jacket to bed and stuffing the rest of my clothes in with me.

Thanks for the suggestions!
HollyR

Postby Phil » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:33 pm

If you have a decent tent that isn't the size of a cavern, you're going to pick up maybe 5-10 degrees of temperature increase inside. Some might argue it, but for one thing, cold air settles and drops, you radiate heat and create a convective current that rises and expands, and the tent helps keep that heat in, and the colder air out. It might still be cold, but just not as cold.

If you do have some money to throw down, a higher R-rated ground pad is a lot cheaper than a new bag, and a lot more effective than a liner. And eat not long before you go to bed so that the digestive process is active and heating your core.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking