Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Snow Creek Ranger Cabin - latest conditions?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Snow Creek Ranger Cabin - latest conditions?

Postby dgilman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Because I hate myself, I'm thinking about a winter hike up the Snow Creek Trail to the Ranger Cabin. I've heard it can be hard to find, but it's also showing up in Basecamp and I've seen GPS coordinates for it as well.

I see that there's now a reservation system, but other than that, does anyone have an update on the condition of the cabin? I read a blog post from 2014 that implies that it is fairly well maintained (including pre-stocked with dry firewood for the stove) but haven't been able to find more recent info.

My plan is to arrive early, obtain permit/combination and park at Curry Village. Hike up, make base at the cabin, spend two nights, and then hike back down to the Valley.

I have AWD and chains for the car, and snowshoes for my feet. Figure I can reduce weight by leaving the tent behind but will bring emergency bivvy in case...just in case.

Any suggestions for the day I'm at the cabin? Nice winter day-hikes from there?

Thank you!

David
dgilman
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Snow Creek Ranger Cabin - latest conditions?

Postby dgilman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:50 pm

If anyone was worried, I think I'm going to call this off for now. Really wanted to head out next (1/20) weekend, but it just seems too risky.

Sometimes you gotta decide not to create the situation that can go bad.

Thanks for advice on the other thread.

David
dgilman
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Snow Creek Ranger Cabin - latest conditions?

Postby Phil » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:56 pm

I wasn't worried at all. In fact, I had hoped that you really hated yourself, and would get in a great trip report via text right before you perished in the frozen wilderness. :D

There's a foot of fresh snow in the Valley, so probably a good call.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking