Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hammocking trip in July - Advice needed

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hammocking trip in July - Advice needed

Postby Veovis » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 pm

Hey! So me and my friends are planning a trip this july to yosemite following this route:

http://www.traillon.com/routes/6xFCoBg

We've already gotten our permits for 6 people, and have 5 days to hike a total of 47.8 miles. Before we commit to this plan we just wanted to check here and make sure we weren't making any huge mistakes with this plan, so any advice is appreciated!

What we have:
  1. Hammocks with underquilts and top quilts, and tarps with mosquito netting.
  2. 65L backpacks leaving 10-12L of space for the bear canister rental.
  3. Lightweight and long sleeved clothing, along with hats and face nets for when mosquitos get really bad.
  4. Sawyer filters to refill water along the streams we cross on this trail.

What we're planning:
  1. Driving our van to our endpoint at Happy isles and taking a shuttle to our starting point at big oak flat road
  2. AirBnb for either a campsite or condo near the park, then driving in super early to get a good parking spot / get our permits

If there's a better route to take or anything we're missing, just let us know. Thanks!
Veovis
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Hammocking trip in July - Advice needed

Postby Phil » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:53 am

Easy route with no real issues, per se, time allotted sounds about right, but I wouldn't worry about parking, and you should pick up your permit the day before at the Big Oak Flat entrance station, stay at the Valley backpacker's camp for $36 for everyone, skipping the condo rental and the race to get into the park and to your departure point when timing is tight. However, the one fatal flaw in your plan, assuming that the Hiker's Shuttle that you're going to be catching up to Big Oak Flat runs this year, is it's going to leave Yosemite Valley at about 8am if past schedules are any indication, and that's exactly when the Wilderness Center opens up for issuing permits, so you have a scheduling conflict. A permit already in hand and an early start from the backpacker's camp will solve that dilemna.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking