Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

~ week long hike in early September

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

~ week long hike in early September

Postby mearwhen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi -

I've dayhiked a little bit in Yosemite (Eagle Peak, Nevada Falls, 4 mile trail). I'm looking at heading out there with my college roommate in early september of this year and taking 5 or 6 nights on the trail. From my reading of the NPS page, the bus didn't seem like it would be running.

The loops I was considering was:
1) The High Sierra Loop
2) to Glen Aulin down to Little Yosemite valley then back up
3) Little Yosemite Valley to Merced Lake to Red Peak Pass and around Illilouete Creek back to the valley
4) Glacier POint to Buckcamp
5) A few Hetch Hetchy options

What do you think? I've done some rocky mountain backpacking before and a lot of the Appalachian Trail (where I often do 12 - 14 mile days, here generally 10 or so). Any advice, recomendations, trips I haven't considered?

Thanks and peace!
mearwhen
First-timer
First-timer

Re: ~ week long hike in early September

Postby dan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:51 pm

YARTS runs on Tioga Road to end of September (or it did in 2007). See http://www.yarts.com/schedule.html

1) The High Sierra Loop
Crowded, but very scenic. Consider variations away from the loop to avoid the crowds and mule-worn trails.

2) to Glen Aulin down to Little Yosemite valley then back up
There's a big up out of Glenn Aulin up and over to Little Yosemite Valley. I really like the scenery around Sunrise Lakes.

3) Little Yosemite Valley to Merced Lake to Red Peak Pass and around Illilouete Creek back to the valley
Not crowded after you leave Merced Lake. Very scenic between LYV and Merced Lake.

4) Glacier Point to Buck camp
Not crowded at all. See the miniature "Royal Arches" and Royal Arches lake if you can. Area around Ostrander/Horse Ridge and Buena Vista Peak is scenic.

5) A few Hetch Hetchy options
Not crowded. Not really scenic until you get to the canyons in the backcountry (e.g., Jack Main Canyon

What do you think? I've done some rocky mountain backpacking before and a lot of the Appalachian Trail (where I often do 12 - 14 mile days, here generally 10 or so). Any advice, recomendations, trips I haven't considered?

Thanks and peace![/quote]
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking