Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Sunrise Lake TH Caching

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Sunrise Lake TH Caching

Postby Phil » Tue May 02, 2017 8:52 am

Sorry about going off-topic. We don't get into a lot of food related topics other than bear cans and regulations, so I thought I would take the opportunity to get some info I needed without creating another thread.

"Caching" would technically be long-term storage, which really isn't okay from a regulatory standpoint. But, given that I knew what your itinerary was, and what your intentions were with storing food at Sunrise from your other posts, I answered under that pretext. So, regulation-wise, aside from using the lockers for keeping scented and food items from being stored in the car (which is illegal and subject to fine, not to mention, possibly having your windows broken or doors ripped off), what you want to do is entirely legal, totally appropriate, and really just a matter of how comfortable you feel about leaving critical food somewhere that you don't have direct control over at all times.

With the Garcia 812s you can rent in the park, one can will generally hold 5-6 man-days of food, so figure that on the basis of how many people you need to feed and for how long. Those cans are also bulky, so it takes space times however many you end up having to carry. With something like say, the Bearikade Expedition, one person carries the food for about 12 man-days, and the others carry the other bulky items like tents and other group gear. In your case, without a bigger can, you guys are going to need two BV450s for your time/route, and unless you get your food way compacted, you still might need to stash at Sunrise Tralhead.

I stash food all over the place on the basis of my needs and where I'm leaving it. I wouldn't leave it at LYV, a campground, or in the Valley anywhere, but as I said, I've had no bad experiences. And as AT says, YMMV.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Sunrise Lake TH Caching

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 02, 2017 9:14 am

Your other options are to rent Wild Ideas canisters that are larger than the one you have, or the Garcia from the park, which is larger than the one you have. Rent the bigger bear vault from REI on the way to the park.

Also, I watched someone jam 6 days of food in a BV450.

You have plenty of options.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking