Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Options for Backpacking July First Week

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Options for Backpacking July First Week

Postby Vegasbackpacker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:05 pm

I have permits starting on July 3rd for Glen Aulin. Just read that the bridges are impassable at this point in time. We shall see what the next 3 weeks brings....but I'm not counting on epic backpack trip.
Vegasbackpacker
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Since water will be raging you'll also be wading in the meadows. A good year to bring out my kayak socks.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Vegasbackpacker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Have campsite locked up in lower pines for the 5 days before my glen Aulin trip. However...am keeping my fingers crossed
Vegasbackpacker
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:11 pm

You can come in from behind Pothole Dome and avoid the first bridge above Tuolumne Falls. It'll be the second bridge at Glen Aulin you'll only need to worry about then. If you're only going to go to the HSC and back out, fine, but if you're continuing on to the GCT and Pate Valley, I wouldn't get my hopes up that it'll be passable, assuming it's even open.

Lots of "epic" adventures this year...
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Vegasbackpacker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:04 pm

Just spoke with a ranger up there. A ranger went out to Glen Aulin 2 days ago. The footbridge at Glen Aulin is DESTROYED. The water was impassable. Snow depths of 3 feet. They have heard the 22nd for Tioga opening.
Vegasbackpacker
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:06 pm

I've seen pictures of this and other bridges. Caved in -- the snow load did them in. Figure they have not had maintenance in a long time and look at the amount of snow, you can anticipate plenty of other bridges have done the same.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Vegasbackpacker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:07 pm

We are just going to Glen Aulin camp and hanging there for a few days. Really really really wanted to hike to Waterwheel. Ranger said call back daily after the 22nd to get real time trail conditions for trip. :(
Vegasbackpacker
Regular
Regular

Postby Vegasbackpacker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:07 pm

Tioga Pass Resort has also been destroyed. Closed indefinitely.
Vegasbackpacker
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:08 pm

I don't think you're going to get there -- the bridge is how you would cross the river to the camp. Unless you walk down the northern side of the river instead of taking the trail.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Vegasbackpacker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Got lucky. Snagged the last back country permit (there was a cancellation) Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley instead. Have to spend the first night at Illouette Falls but then I can go wherever we want to. Any suggestions on trails to take down to backpackers camp in Yosemite?
Vegasbackpacker
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:40 pm

You won't be allowed to camp at Illilouette Falls because of restrictions. You leave GP and head down and you're not stopping until you get to LYV to be legal. Note on this link where the colored lines and arrowheads are. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... lheads.pdf

You'll have to head upstream a couple miles from GP to camp legally...beyond the points. Unless you want to go up to the Mono Meadow/Buena Vista junction, your only choice down to LYV is the Panorama Trail. I know you saw my post and the wilderness conditions report, so stay apprised of the condition of crossings and meadows.

You know, if you come out of Tuolumne and Soda Springs on the trail to Glen Aulin, you can swing cross country to the north when you come to the first bridge and get to the camp that way. With all the melt and raging water, if you can get past flooding at Glen Aulin proper (and the trail is open at least that far), the falls complex below that ought to be one of the most amazing displays of water you've ever seen. You won't have to even worry about going beyond Return Creek, and there's a lot of great campsites down by Waterwheel Falls that should be just fine.

btw- GP to LYV is decidedly front country...
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Vegasbackpacker » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:05 pm

Backcountry high Sierra camps closed indefinitely.
Vegasbackpacker
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:46 am

Vegasbackpacker wrote:Backcountry high Sierra camps closed indefinitely.

But other than the snowpack, that's absolutely irrelevant to backpackers. "Indefinitely" is a relative term that has to be taken in the right context. It really means that they're not going to be assembling the tent cabins or stocking and hooking up the water supply for the lottery winners this year. Bummer. Oh well. The backpacker's camps aren't contingent on the HSCs being open at all. Completely autonomous except in name alone. The only place it's nice to be able to use the over-chlorinated faucet is Sunrise, but all that means is that you just hike a little to get your water or carry it in. May Lake has May Lake for water. Vogelsang has Fletcher Lake. Merced Lake has Merced Lake. And Glen Aulin has Conness and the Tuolumne.

Let's not feed the rumor mill and get ahead of ourselves. To backpackers, no HSCs means nothing at all. This year (or any, really) be smart, have a good time. Be dumb, don't.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Cee » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Hello Everybody:

I was the OP for this thread a few weeks ago. After reading all the reports and given the fact that Tioga Rd is not even open yet, streams are dangerous etc, we have scuttled the original trip and will either head to Emigrant for day hikes or to the coastal redwoods.

Happy hiking everyone,

Cee
Cee
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking