Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne hopefuls - beware

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne hopefuls - beware

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:25 am

Longnok wrote:. There are a multitude of places to go in Yosemite. If the current plan isn't working out, change the plan.

Yep. It's like a mantra, as well as sound policy.

But, if the ranger that Vegasbackpacker talked to is right, it IS already "bridges". "Maybe" is a possibility, "is" is a concrete statement. But it depends on what the definition of is, is. Oh man. I think I'll quit posting now.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:05 am

Though one can work around both bridges simply by staying on one side of the river, it's extremely likely that the river is high enough to sweep away people on lower parts of Muir Gorge -- there's sections of the trail carved into granite with no workaround. It becomes an out and back. And given that Yosemite is the land of people who ignore "no swimming" signs as well as the signs that inform them they'll be charged for rescue if they do, and get swept over Vernal Falls anyway, it's no wonder the rangers have this despairing tone of voice when informing people of these things....

Respect trail closures if you're made aware of them. Ain't worth even a trip to the hospital, because let me tell you, that will put you in bankruptcy before you know it, sometimes if you do have insurance...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 am

Note that this PCT thru was attempting to cross Return Creek when he fell in.

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2017/06/19/ ... ra-nevada/

None of the creeks are going to be safe, and many of them will be suicidally high, as the hot weather speeds up the melt.

Turn around - don't die!
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby idiotwind » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:57 am

Lots of great info here. Thanks.

I'llbe going from White Wolf to Tuolumne Meadows first week of August. I surely hope we hear some good reports about river crossings!
idiotwind
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking