Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Beehive to Lake Vernon

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Beehive to Lake Vernon

Postby mountainranger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:48 pm

Seven of us are heading out to Hetch Hetchy area on the 12th, camping along the way, then actually hiking from Hetch on the 15th for five nights. Has anyone actually been to the area recently that can give a first hand accurate update. Planning to go to Lake Vernon then Eleanor then back to Hetch. I have been keeping up on all the posts and the Yosemite official updates, I am just looking for firsthand info. None of our hiking should go above 7k feet so we should be below most of the snow. Curious about creek crossings like Frog Creek. Thanks.
mountainranger

Re: Beehive to Lake Vernon

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:04 pm

While I can't give you first-hand info, I do see that the report from YNP on wilderness conditions specifically advises against crossing Frog Creek at this time. And really, the melt has done nothing but accelerate over the past few days. Think about it; if it's risky enough for a warning for anyone, figure how much might have the chance to go wrong with 7 people.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Beehive to Lake Vernon

Postby balzaccom » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:43 am

A few years ago three of us turn around at Frog Creek for exactly that reason on an early season hike. Be smart.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking