Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mosquitos

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mosquitos

Postby coachrains » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:31 pm

What are the bugs like right now, arriving tomorrow?

Thanks
coachrains
Regular
Regular

Re: Mosquitos

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:36 pm

This is weird. I haven't seen that many this year. We've spent some time on the trail....and really not had any issues at all. I did read one report from near Lake Thomas Edison that rated them a 5-7 out of ten. But that's the only bad news I've seen. Hope that holds true for you. Bring headnets and deet!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:45 pm

They're out and flying. With this heat wave they might just commence the feeding frenzy, be prepared.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby transponster » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:30 pm

I was in the park last weekend. There were a ton of mosquitos at the backpacker's camp on the valley floor, and then they were intermittently bad up to 7700 ft which was the highest I went. I camped at Dewey point and was still getting swarmed after dusk at my campsite, but not when I went out on the point. At some point on the Pohono trail near Bridalveil creek I was wearing my headnet, but that was because of the flies, not so much the mosquitos.
transponster
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking