Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

4 day loop hiking suggestions

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: 4 day loop hiking suggestions

Postby Nowak1981 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Appreciate all the great info, that's what I was looking for. I was concerned about the camp closures and wasn't sure if there were some hidden blm ones or something.

I was curious if Toulumne meadows to mammoth lakes trailhead might be doable in 3-4 days. I just got my maps in the mail, gonna study tomorrow. That would leave me with a few days before and after to check out smaller hikes and resupply stations for the JMT.
Nowak1981
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Looking at the estimated opening dates for campgrounds, they're anticipating pushing the closing dates back to later in Sept and even into Oct in some cases. If that's how it all works out, it helps you a lot.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Nowak1981 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Can anyone suggest a good site for weather history in the Tuolumne meadows and Donahue pass area? Id like to get a better grasp on what kinds of temps and wind conditions I might encounter.

Looks like Whitewolf and Tuolumne campgrounds are closing on the 25th this year, Yay me! I saw a graph that shows exit quotas for the past few years, this time of year it looks like they are well below numbers, also good. Walk ups should be relatively easy to get! I hope.
Nowak1981
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:31 pm

This should do it:

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/yo ... s/usca1269

This will be the Valley at +/-4000 ft

For Tuolumne at +/-8600 ft, subtract about 12-15 degrees.

For Donohue Pass at +/-11000 ft, subtract about 15-25 degrees.

With wind, you just have to watch the forecast, but I've been at Red Peak Pass in late Sept and dealt with fighting 80 mph gusts. Leeward sides of anything that wouldn't blow away, even just for a few minutes, was the best thing that happened all day. To this day, I still pack every guyline I can, and a few extras, no matter where I go.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Nowak1981 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:12 am

Another dumb question, how do you guys handle day hikes in the back country? Your on a multi day trip and get to your site early, and you want to explore a little. Do you keep wearing the pack?
Nowak1981
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:14 am

Nowak1981 wrote:Another dumb question, how do you guys handle day hikes in the back country? Your on a multi day trip and get to your site early, and you want to explore a little. Do you keep wearing the pack?

You should always have the ten essentials with you. I use the backpack as a day pack, keeps bears from stealing it too.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Nowak1981 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:34 am

I guess what I mean is, do you set up camp? I wouldn't go very far, not away from camp for longer then 30 minutes or so.
Nowak1981
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:38 am

Yes. And I take the ten essentials everywhere. So does anyone who has ever had the totally unexpected happen.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Yes, set up camp. Leave it set up. If you don't have anything in your pack that smells, leave it inside the tent. For bears, the smell is the attractant, and the pack is a visual cue. I'm usually pretty confident about thwarting bears, it's people I worry about messing with my gear. But the further out I am, that fear/risk diminishes proportionately with distance. All said and done, when I walk away for any length of time, I minimize what's out and laying around to the point where it's just my tent, cooking kit stuffed into the rocks, bear can tossed off to the side.

With the 10 essentials, a lot of new packs have built-in day packs. They've become almost de rigueur in modern design and expectations. When in place inside the pack, those daypacks serve as more internal storage. If you take advantage of that storage, make it for those essentials whenever possible. Add whatever you need up to above those items, but always be diligent about the routine and planning for contingencies, then basically just grab-n-go. Without that diligent routine, Murphy's Law says that whatever you forget is what you'll end up needing.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Nowak1981 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:31 pm

Awesome, I was concerned about the bears messing with it. I have an osprey exos 48, it does have a top pack that I can use as a day pack, but it doeasnt haven't a strap like my aether 70 did. i use some 550 cord on an Aquafina bottle to hang around my neck when I'm pumping water. That would work just fine.
Nowak1981
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:00 pm

Wait a minute. Are you sure you can get 4-5 days of gear into an Exos 48 with a canister in there too? Be it a Garcia, Bear Vault, or even a Bearikade, that can is a big draw on volume.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Nowak1981 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Not sure yet, gonna get some tubing from Home Depot to try it out. I have the 5night bearikade on order for the trip and a 12night one just for a test fit, should I decide I want to do the longer trek.. may have to bump back up to the aether 70, but it's like twice the weight :(
Nowak1981
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:55 pm

Bite the bullet and bring the Aether 70. You're going to hate having a canister hanging off your pack. Much better to have the extra weight of the bigger pack than the constant hassle of a 9" cylinder hanging outside of a too small one. It's going to be an awkward carry and get snagged up on everything, including you. Center it up vertically inside.

And whatever you do, don't leave either of those Bearikades in a trailhead bear locker, anywhere. Oh, and you originally asked about food storage at trailheads. Use the crappiest shopping bag, garbage bag, or expendable stuff sack you can find. People are usually really good about leaving your food alone, but no sense in tempting them.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking