Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Benson Lake - Matterhorn Canyon Loop Conditions

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Benson Lake - Matterhorn Canyon Loop Conditions

Postby Pbattler » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Have any of you done the standard Benson Lake - Matterhorn Canyon loop, yet, this year? My daughter and I have a trip scheduled for the first week in August, 2017. I'd like to get some insight on current conditions, following our big winter. Thanks.
Pbattler
Regular
Regular

Re: Benson Lake - Matterhorn Canyon Loop Conditions

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:56 pm

By August you should be fine. The last report I saw said that the only real snow issues were on the north side of Mule Pass. Everything else was pretty clear.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Pbattler » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Thank you.
Pbattler
Regular
Regular

Postby Pbattler » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:19 pm

The Benson Lake Loop trip was great! We started on August 2nd and came out August 7th, traveling counter-clockwise. Mosquitos were a bit thick in spots (Peeler Lake, in particular). We had small snow patches on Seavey Pass and Benson Pass. They were no problem. The snow was a bit more substantial on Burro Pass, and even more so on Mule Pass. None of the snow felt dangerous to me or my 17 year old daughter. We did not have ice axes or trekking poles and everything was still reasonable.

We did make several river crossings and are glad we brought camp shoes to change into for some of them.

We had afternoon thunderstorms every day, one notable hail storm, and one rainstorm that lasted all afternoon and evening.

We estimate we saw 50-60 people (many on the same loop) in the six days we were out.

Get out there and have fun!
Pbattler
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking