Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

GPS tracking device

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

GPS tracking device

Postby Nowak1981 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:15 pm

I was trying to fine some kind of device that would track my location as I walk through the trail. Now obviously I can use a phone or a regular gps, but I would like something that can be tracked online. My family worries and would like to know where im at. I dont need the Plb portion like a Spot. I dont want to pay the yearly fee for the 2 times a year it will get used and ill be on the more heavily populated trails. It doesnt look i can use my phone that way without the internet to upload. The gps portion will work just fine though.

On a side note, does anyone have a Galaxy s6? I was wondering what the battery life was like on the trail with the phone in airplane mode and constant tracking. I plan on bringing a battery pack just in case.

Thanks again for any info.
Last edited by Nowak1981 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nowak1981
Regular
Regular

Re: GPS tracking device

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:28 pm

You can rent a Spot or an InReach.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: GPS tracking device

Postby Phil » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:42 pm

With the S6-S7, or any phone or GPS receiver for that matter, pinging for position tracking and compass use rip through the battery quickly. You'll need to recharge nightly. I would rent the InReach or get something like a Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar charger.

Don't discount the idea of a PLB. Your registration always includes emergency contact numbers. If all they are is worried and don't want to constantly know exactly where you are, assuring loved ones that you're fine unless they hear from you or a SAR agency should give them peace of mind enough. If you're in trouble, hit the buttons, then they'll get the call they need from the people you need.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking