Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Smoky in tuolumne Meadows

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Smoky in tuolumne Meadows

Postby balzaccom » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:58 am

Anyone have photos of what it's like there now? Most of the Yosemite webcams are based further down.

And the TM webcams is pretty indistinct...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Smoky in tuolumne Meadows

Postby Grzldvt » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:26 am

Also very interested, as I am taking some time in the next few weeks to do an overnighter and trying to decide where I want to go.
Also wondering with the Railroad fire, I am wondering if it has crept over into Illiloutte Canyon.
If I do something out of Toulumne , what is the clarity?
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:50 am

Can't say from being there, but the phone number for the Tuolumne wilderness office is 209-372-0309.

And then there's this: https://www.wildlandfiresmoke.net/outlo ... ires#Area1

As of yesterday's reports, the Railroad Fire was still south of Fish Camp. The South Fork and Empire fires in YNP are here: https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local ... nment.html and here: https://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/fire-upd ... h-2017.htm

My own trip is shot because of closures, but the winds are predominantly out of the NE, with rain and humidity helping containment. The Valley and south are showing particulate levels that will be a problem for people with sensitivities, but everything north, from what I understand, is fine and just slightly elevated. Who knows if next week's thunderstorms will lead to more lightning sparked fires though?

Now, Sonoma and Napa Counties are thick because of fires up north, but it looks much better this morning. Yesterday was nasty.

Good to see you back, Steve. Glad to hear that business be a booming, but all work and no play make Steve a dull boy...gotta spend all that money somewhere.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Yeah, the TM webcam is pretty indistinct...not so good for scenic beauty and conditions, but great if you want to see if there are any parking spaces at the store.

They need another cam...one showing what kind of ice cream they have in the freezer.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Phil wrote:Can't say from being there, but the phone number for the Tuolumne wilderness office is 209-372-0309.

And then there's this: https://www.wildlandfiresmoke.net/outlo ... ires#Area1

Good to see you back, Steve. Glad to hear that business be a booming, but all work and no play make Steve a dull boy...gotta spend all that money somewhere.

Phil good info, appreciate it, and hearing from you !!!! And yes, I do need to spend some money and time. :shock:

Truth be told, my business is Boutique Auto Detailing, located in Los Gatos, a very high end suburb of Silicon Valley. My goal is to be "THE" detailer for show winning cars across the country/world and that is starting to really blossom.
As an example, I had 15 cars come in for Monterey Car Week, 12 of them placed(1st, 2nd or 3rd) in their respective categories with 7 placing first and one Best In Show for that particular category.
Monterey Car week is like April 15th for accountants and tax people.
Then there are several specialty shows in September/October that I prepare cars for. Next year I will have some highly qualified help that will allow me to spend more time back on the trails. :mrgreen:
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:41 pm

So back from Yosemite. Drove in on Saturday and left Monday (quickie hike from Lukens Lake to Murphy Creek).

Smoky skies on the way into Yosemite on 120 made the sun VERY red for the last hour drive. Very strong smell at Big Oak Flat entrance when I picked up my permit Saturday.

Lukens lake to Ten Lakes Pass was mostly free of smell or smoke in the air. Some of both a little later in the afternoon, but not too bad. Didn't hurt the sunset or sunrise, fortunately.

Sunday was about the same, although some storm clouds moved in and covered the area (and maybe blew the smell away). Heard thunder, but not near me and no lightning fortunately.

Smoke smell and haze returned mid-day Monday as I was making my way along the east side of Tuolumne Peak and down Murphy Creek (dry, BTW).

I think they were doing a management fire near Yosemite Creek on Tioga Road since they had smoke warning signs (not much smoke around, although I did see some very small smoke columns in the distance, that I initially thought were camp fires).
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:01 pm

Great report, as with everything smoke can change hour to hour, but off to the Park tomorrow for an overniter. Will figure where to go based on availability and smoke.
Thanks
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking