Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

early June

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

early June

Postby tomasball » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:07 am

I read that in 2017 the Tioga road was closed until late June. That got my attention.

We are planning to spend more than a week in Yosemite in the first half of June. We would like to do a couple of nights backpacking, but don't have much interest in camping or hiking in snow. Are there some good treks that are likely to be open, even if winter provides heavy snow?
tomasball
First-timer
First-timer

Re: early June

Postby balzaccom » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:52 pm

It ALL depends on the weather this winter, and even the weather in May. There are places you can backpack' Little Yosemite Valley is usually open, and some of the southern part of the park south of Glacier Point Road might also be an option, as well as the North Rim of the Valley itself. And Hetch-hetchy opens before any of those.

But the high country is usually still quite snowy in June...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking