Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

This cannot be good news

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

This cannot be good news

Postby dan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:58 am

Postby balzaccom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:23 am
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/clim ... parks.html

9 of the 12 members have resigned.

Postby Grzldvt » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:00 am

I normally don't do politics, but since it is you, I will jump in. Unfortunately we have just lost a huge group that will fight for the NPS and our parks. It is so sad to see the direction that Trump is headed. It is very obvious he simply doesn't care about preserving our natural resources/treasures, unless there are commercial interests.
Resigning, while may be a short term "in your face" answer, long term we need these people to stay in their positions and fight for what we, the users of the NPS, know is right.
I suspect in the overall scheme of things the resignations while very symbolic will have little impact with the current administration, and allow a very different group to administer the NPS.
Steve

Postby Phil » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Grzldvt wrote: I suspect in the overall scheme of things the resignations while very symbolic will have little impact with the current administration, and allow a very different group to administer the NPS.

That's the biggest rub. Symbolic gestures, when forceful action is really what's required, don't hold sway. You can go home, or you can chain yourself to the tree. Zinke and Trump are just going to restack the board with their people. Nine otherwise active and oppositional voices silenced, all in one fell swoop. A coup d'etat won by stonewalling and attrition. Nine resignations that went a long way toward handing him an autocracy.

Postby huynguyen1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:12 pm
The news is not getting better:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/18/opin ... eft-region
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking