Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Campsite location near Bunnell?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Campsite location near Bunnell?

Postby dan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Postby Justin-T » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:56 pm
The last night of our circuit from Mono Meadow back to Happy Isles via Red Peak Pass takes us back along the Merced. I'm planning for our last night camping to be somewhere around "Bunnell Cascade" (see map). Any recommendations for good spots to look out for around there? Based on the map it looks to me there's a wooded, flatter area just west of it, right underneath where it's marked "Lost Valley", that might be a place to aim for. Anybody got any thoughts?

Postby Phil » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:30 am
Hey Justin,

No, stay up above the falls in the area around the two footbridges. Head uphill just before or just after the second. If you have a sat image, you can actually zoom in and pin down a few individual sites. On your map, you'll see a small tributary stream dropping down from the cliffs above, follow it up. You can also scout around in the area downstream between the bridges.

Lost Valley has sites, but they have no views. You'll also run into the no-camping setback from LYV around the base of Moraine Dome. There will be a sign. Toward the river, the sites tend to be sandy and tucked into the brush. More sites trail-right back at the base of the cliff.

Postby Justin-T » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:42 am
Great, thanks Phil, I can see exactly where you mean. That's still an easy 7 miles or so back to Happy Isles, just the sort of final day I was aiming for.

Its looking like its back to worrying about water availability again, after the excesses of last season, but this particular loop should be pretty safe in that regard, last week of July even in a dry year?

Postby WanderingJim » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:51 am
I actually found a flat bolder overlooking the falls coming down from Lost Valley. Pretty good view of Little Yosemite Valley for sunset and sunrise (although the fire burned trees in 2016 were a little bleak looking at the time).

May only be room for one tent on the bolder though (strap it down with the boulders already placed there). A couple other flatish spots around, so may be usable if you have a bigger group.

lon="-119.479878" lat="37.737419"

Here's a panorama from the spot:
https://flic.kr/p/HXTper
Last edited by WanderingJim on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Phil » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 am
You'll have so much year-round water throughout that entire trip that it won't even be close to being an issue. Zero worries.

Postby Justin-T » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:23 am

WanderingJim wrote:
lon="-119.479878" lat="37.737419
"

Thanks Jim, I can see the exact boulder on satellite maps.

Phil wrote:
You'll have so much year-round water throughout that entire trip that it won't even be close to being an issue. Zero worries.

Good to know, even so I hope there'll be a bunch more precipitation before then.

Postby Pbattler » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:02 am
I am looking at a similar loop, I think. Are any of you willing to hazard a guess as to when Red Peak Pass might be reasonably passable, given our (thus far) awful winter?

Postby balzaccom » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:59 am
We won't know until we see what happens in April and May...
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking