Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

High Sierra Camp date swap

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

High Sierra Camp date swap

Postby dan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Postby Yosemitegirl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:03 pm
I’ve got a 2person 5 day loop from glen Aulin 8/11/18 to go thro May lakes, sunrise, Merced and vogelsang. This coincides with exactly the wrong times for me. I've been given permission by the High Sierra Camps to do a data swap if I can find someone to take my dates. Is someone willing to switch dates to end their loop ANYTIME time before 8/8 or start after 8/15? Please?

Thanks for your help.

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:33 am

Are you sure that this is even possible? Many reservations are not transferable.

Postby Yosemitegirl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:53 pm
Yes, there is an extenuating circumstance. They normally don't do this. But they have given me permission

Postby Phil » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Yosemitegirl wrote:
Yes, there is an extenuating circumstance. They normally don't do this. But they have given me permission

Yes, for now they'll be understanding and compliant, but you need to be very cognizant of your cancellation deadlines, because they're firm in their "no exceptions" rules.

I see that you've put this out there on several forums. You might get lucky, and I hope you do, but luck is a hard thing to count on. The HSC lottery is massively over-subscribed, and given how hard it is to get a spot, people hang on their hard-won reservations like life depends on it. While knowing what the deadlines are, you might want to get in on the secondary lottery for your preferred new dates as a backup plan. I believe that takes place some time in April.

Postby Yosemitegirl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:01 pm

Thank you! I don't see anything about an April secondary lottery. How do I learn about it?

Postby Yosemitegirl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:01 pm
Are there any other forums you suggest I post to? I tried to post on tripadvisor but it was pulled down from some reason. Thanks for your help

Postby Phil » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:18 pm
I'm not intimately familiar with the process and have only heard it called the "secondary lottery". It's basically them reaching out to previous applicants who didn't get any of their requested dates and, if they might still be interested, offering them as-of-yet unfilled dates or cancellations where spaces are still available. There are some still showing:
https://www.travelyosemite.com/media/81 ... 122018.pdf

Someone at YH (Aramark) will be able to help you far better than I ever could. I just wanted to put it out there for you as an alternative in trying to salvage your trip in whatever way might be possible. Hope it helped. Best of luck with it.

If Aramark can't get this sorted and make something else work for you, put out your request as far and wide as possible. I think there's also an official HSC blog. You might see if it's possible to fit it in there. You've still got lots of lead time on this. Without second guessing or prying, no way for you to make it work, huh? You could literally go years and not have another opportunity like this....it's one hell of a tough gig to come by.

Postby Yosemitegirl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:36 pm
thanks! I may have to make it work
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking