Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

camp site between Merced Lake and Bernice Lake

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

camp site between Merced Lake and Bernice Lake

Postby adrianhoff » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:19 am

I am preparing for a 10-day Yosemite loop that younger/fitter hikers will tell me I should do in half the time. I’m allocating two days for Merced Lake to Vogelsang: the outside trail, which parallels Lewis Creek. I'm looking for potential layover spots.

About a mile before the turn-off to Bernice Lake, the trail crosses a feeder-creek that flows out of Florence Lake. Does anyone know if there’s a good place to pitch a tent near the trail, along that creek? Is there better camping, with water, elsewhere between Merced Lake and Bernice Lake? If I decide to go all the way to Bernice Lake, a mile off-trail, is it worth the detour?

Thanks.
adrianhoff
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Grzldvt » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:40 pm

It has been several years since I have been in that area, but if I recall there was plenty of camping spots by the creek, Seems to me it was pretty flat and open. As far as going to Bernice, I thought it was a very nice place, and if you are looking for some solitude might be a good place to go.

Worst case you can drop pack, head in, check it out, if you don't like it, no issue, if you like it, go back in with your pack.
I have done that alot in areas I wasn't sure about.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:06 am

If you haven't left already...
Since you are taking sooo long to do this trip that just means that
you have alot of time to explore.
I highly recommend that you check out Bernice. It is not off trail.
It is a fairly steep climb. I think only maybe 1/2 mile but close to 500 ft. up.
Because of this you will probably be alone there and there are plenty
of flat spots for your enjoyment.
You may also want to go check out some of the other Lakes like
Gallison. They are cross country but easy to get to.
When you climb Vogelsang Pass you will be able to see Bernice and
Gallison and go.. "cool, I was there".
Have fun.
Also, you will be near water the entire time. One thing that is good to
carry is a 2 Litre Platypus. Fill it up when you are nearing the time you
want to stop for the day and find a nice stop without regard to water.
You can then camp stealthy also if that is your desire.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking