Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Chilnualna Falls/Buena Vista Loop 1st Week of June

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Chilnualna Falls/Buena Vista Loop 1st Week of June

Postby mazerwolf » Sun May 06, 2018 3:10 am

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this route. We have 3 days/nights the 1st week of June and want to do 10 mile ish days in the Sierra and I thought this might work. I know its early in the season but its the only time we could agree on. Does anyone have any experience with this route that time of year? My biggest concern is the river crossings. I appreciate any help or alternate routes that might work in that time frame, thank you!
mazerwolf
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Chilnualna Falls/Buena Vista Loop 1st Week of June

Postby balzaccom » Sun May 06, 2018 3:18 pm

That's a legitimate concern for this route---that and the killer climb to get started. You can do the same route from the Bridalveil Creek campground..and avoid some of the drama.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sun May 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Bridalveil Creek TH or the Lost Bear/Ostrander TH do not have the constant uphill the first four miles. Since Glacier Point Rd is already open, there is no reason not to start at one of those.

Be prepared for mosquitos. I doubt the pass, at 9200 ft, will have snow on it so late. This is a dry year, most of the snow came in March, and it's melting at a rapid pace at the moment.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Sun May 06, 2018 10:40 pm

The suggestions of approaching from the other side are solid...that climb just hurts. Even with it being a low snow year and the melt going strong and fast, the first week of June still might have you hung up on crossings, or at least it giving you some cautious pause before you do. As you probably know, mornings are best for that sort of thing.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking