Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Toulmne River Mosqitoes Are Horrendous This Year

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Toulmne River Mosqitoes Are Horrendous This Year

Postby Grzldvt » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Did my annual Glen Aulin/Le Conte Falls trip this weekend and thought the mosquitoes were going to carry me away. Simply the worst I have ever seen in the 25 years I have been going down there. Stop for an instant and they swarm, by the hundreds Getting water from the river, my backside was completely covered even with new ex-offico gear on. However LeConte Falls was in prime flow. Awesome trip
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Toulmne River Mosqitoes Are Horrendous This Year

Postby Phil » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Hey Steve, nice to hear from you.

I forgot about your annual GA trip down to La Conte. We were supposed to be headed down there and would have probably hooked up this year as I did my usual postholing trip down from May Lake, this time with my daughter, who's considerably more pissy about imperfect trail conditions than my son, but I got recruited to drive a U-haul up from Santa Barbara later this week. Doesn't sound like we missed much, though. I would've thought the bugs down there would've been gone weeks ago down there. Heard the flies were bad, too. Two of my least favorite things.

Hope biz is still good, but that you get some time to enjoy the fruits of your labors a little more this year.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Phil,
Good to hear from you. Love May Lake, one of my favorite spots in the entire park. Even have a Granddaughter named Sierra May, for that location. This weekend we usually run into flying critters, but can normally fend them off with Ex-Officio, and clothes sprayed with fresh Permethrin, plus Natrapel. At the camp site in Glen Aulin they were horrendous, we did not eat or cook until very late in the evening after they calmed down. I was coming out the back trail this morning, and there is one very, very steep climb. I was going slow enough that they would swarm so badly, I would get them caught in my mouth and nose. Even swatting at them did no good. Not a good time at all. Most of them would try and land and bounce off, but it was so bad any little spot I missed with repellent they found.

The business has simply been insane. Have a couple of interesting offers to buy it, that I may seriously take advantage of. I really miss getting out. My only other trip last year was May Lake for a quick weekender.
I have $1billion dollars(only kidding) in new equipment. Sea to Summit everything, much lighter Kelty tent, and OMG a Katadyn Gravity Filter. where has that been all my life. This year will be a new big pack.
Your daughter still sounds like a real trooper, and complain as she may, she still went and now has a story for her kids about hiking up to May Lake in 42 feet of snow, uphill both ways.... and you know the rest. :mrgreen:
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby YukonMooch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:20 am

Hi Steve,

First time trip to Yosemite coming up the first week of July, currently with a Youngs Lake wilderness permit. I was curious as to what the snow levels are still like up there in you happen to have any insight for some of the higher elevation areas. I have minimal experience in trail navigation through snow covered trails. The May 31st update on the nps website said 100% snow coverage. I am not sure when they will update again. With regard to the mosquitoes, any chance you think they may die down a bit the next few weeks or just simply get worse? Thanks!
YukonMooch

Postby Phil » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:41 am

Steve may or may not get back to you with a first-hand report on his observations, but have a look at this:

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive ... &js=1&uc=0

The map isn't labeled, but Tuolumne Meadows is basically centered, and I assume you know roughly where Young Lakes are in relationship to it. This is through this Friday, 06/15. No snow by the first week of July, but you can count on mosquitoes. Sorry. They usually follow the elevation of the melt by a couple/few weeks. Bring the full kit: long clothing, head nets, lots of repellent, tent, flamethrower...
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby wmclemore01 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am

Lucky enough to get a permit for the first week in August. First time visitor and wondering historically will I need - "The full kit: long clothing, head nets, lots of repellent, tent, flamethrower..."

Man I really hate those flying bugs. Just spent a week in the Smoky Mtns backcountry and when it was not raining you had to hid from the flying bugs or they would pick you up and take-off to eat you alive later.

Once more unto the breach
wmclemore01
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:11 pm

Except the flamethrower, most of that stuff is just standard carry, and it's just whether you need to pull them out or not....where you're royally screwed if you don't have them at least available if you need them. Mosquitoes have ruined much fun and ended many a trip for the unprepared. Head net is a few bucks and nadda. Long pants and shirt; you should have those anyway. By the first week of August, depends on where and how high you go, but the only extra weight is just a bottle of repellent to be on the safe side, and a tent is good because afternoon thunderstorms tend to roll in that time of year on an almost daily basis. But, what you won't get is the mind-numbing, unrelenting, vicious, drive-you-into-your-tent, psychosis-inducing swarms that you'll see early season. A little repellent if called for, a shirt, a swat here and there...good.

Headlong into destiny.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking