Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search

Pate Valley bridge

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Pate Valley bridge

Postby WanderingJim » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Does anyone know if the bridge will be repaired by next July?

I'm planning my July 4th week trek and am looking at the northern part of Yosemite.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Pate Valley bridge

Postby Phil » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:11 am

Hey Jim,

I have no special knowledge on it otherwise as to timing or intentions, but I doubt it.

By July 4th, while it may not be at peak flow, the Tuolumne will still be charged up, and that alone will keep trail crews away for safety and logistical reasons. Unfortunately, it'll also make the river still too high and fast to ford, historically, until later in the season. Assuming either or both means, and very much dependent on whether budgeting is available for repair/replacement in 2019 at all, anyone should only reasonably realistically expect to be able to either wade or cross a new bridge not much earlier than sometime in either later in August or September.

Dependent on snowpack and trail conditions, you can always avoid the crossing and still hike most of the northern areas by heading up Cold Canyon, dropping down to Pate Valley, then looping back up to Glen Aulin via the GCT trail.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking