Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Pate Valley bridge

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Pate Valley bridge

Postby WanderingJim » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Does anyone know if the bridge will be repaired by next July?

I'm planning my July 4th week trek and am looking at the northern part of Yosemite.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:11 am

Hey Jim,

I have no special knowledge on it otherwise as to timing or intentions, but I doubt it.

By July 4th, while it may not be at peak flow, the Tuolumne will still be charged up, and that alone will keep trail crews away for safety and logistical reasons. Unfortunately, it'll also make the river still too high and fast to ford, historically, until later in the season. Assuming either or both means, and very much dependent on whether budgeting is available for repair/replacement in 2019 at all, anyone should only reasonably realistically expect to be able to either wade or cross a new bridge not much earlier than sometime in either later in August or September.

Dependent on snowpack and trail conditions, you can always avoid the crossing and still hike most of the northern areas by heading up Cold Canyon, dropping down to Pate Valley, then looping back up to Glen Aulin via the GCT trail.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby wilson26 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:14 am

Hello,

It's a wooden bridge & also looking in bad condition. So any other way to go opposite side. Is there any boat facility for them? :lol:
Thanks...
Last edited by wilson26 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
wilson26

Postby balzaccom » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:21 am

Nope. No boats. And wading this year is going to be a real adventure, because of the big snow pack--real adventure as in potentially lethal. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that high water and snow this year ripped away the last shreds of the bridge itself...

This is not the year for that hike, unless they get the bridge rebuilt.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:48 am

A boat? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The USS Death Wish, maybe.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:49 am

"Paddle or die" or paddle and still die.

A really big slingshot?

...or, you can stand there where the bridge used top be and say "No f'ing way" a whole lot of times and delude yourself into believing that you can make it in the morning..

With water that big, you have to worry about getting past Register Creek first, and that might even be sketchier in and of itself.

And then we always have the old standby of carrying a really big and heavy survival knife with a compass on the pommel and knowing that everything is going to work out just fine, regardless.

Even if they had the plans and money this year, they still wouldn't be able to put a crew on it until late August/Sept.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:32 am

TamraLeggett wrote:Somebody have any invigorated know-how on the fording items closed Pate Valley Bridge? I agree that i might now not risk that interface, regardless can be available to a section. NPS expressed possible later within the season. Reflected whether or not anybody understood go with the flow water organizes or had an insightful proposition of the place to move.

I will say this simply and bluntly as possible - if you intend to go this year, go in September. Long, long after the melt is over and done. It will be past the time when the falls are most impressive but crossing the river will be possible without turning into one of many water-related deaths.

Or, go down the trail to Pate (or some earlier stopping point, no need to lose all that elevation either) and then - turn around and hike back up to Tuolumne Meadows. It's a gorgeous hike in summer.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking