Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search

Planning for a visit

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Planning for a visit

Postby barryalen1992 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:09 am

We've just moved into San Jose recently. Not knowing anything much but Yosemite should be near where we live correct? Can we make a visit this summer?
barryalen1992
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Planning for a visit

Postby Paddy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:37 am

Welcome to California.

You are about 3.5-4 hours away from Yosemite. There are three routes to Yosemite from SJ. Hwy 120, 140 and 41.

If I go to the valley of Yosemite I would take 140. A bit longer, but elevation gain is less than 120. But if this is your first time, try both. 120 gives you more vistas points to see into the valley than 140, because of its location and elevation.

If I go to Tuolomne Meadow area, I would use 120 (unless I stay in the valley the day before).

I have not used hwy 41, yet. There are still many places/trails for me to see in the north side of Yosemite.

Paddy.
Paddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Planning for a visit

Postby Paddy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:42 am

One more thing. The routes in the valley was confusing for me at first. So I used Google map in "street view" mode and "drove" myself around the valley a couple of times. It had helped me a lot during my first few visits to the valley.
Paddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking