Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

High Sierra Loop questions?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

High Sierra Loop questions?

Postby holly » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi -

I've got reservations for meals only along the high sierra loop (glen aulin through vogelsang) the first week of August. This will be my first Yosemite trip and my longest backpacking trip all at once! I'm in shape though, so no worries about the 5-10 mile day hikes. I had a couple questions though for anyone farmiliar with the hike...

The only sleeping bag I own is rated to 30 and I have a good insulating pad, do you think thats going to be enough for early August, or do you know how cold it gets at night?

Do I need to carry a bear box or can I use the bear boxes at the HSC camps since I'm a patron (although meals only)?

We are planning on spending two nights in a row at either May lake or Sunrise, and doing a day hike to either clouds rest or mt hoffman. We cant do both, so which hike do you think is better?
Thanks in advance!!!

Holly
holly

bear canisters / overnight lows

Postby adrianhoff » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:43 pm

A 30 degree bag should be fine, if you’ have a tent and aren't sleeping out in the open. Doing a similar loop last July I awoke to a thin layer of frost on my tent at the Sunrise camp. Other than that one night, overnight lows stayed above 40.

I think backcountry regulations require bear canisters for all overnight trips. The Backpackers area at Vogelsang is really spread out. There probably are bear boxes somewhere in the area, but not anywhere near where we settled. I also kept everything in my canister at Sunrise. I don’t remember if there was due to a shortage of bear boxes, or if it just was more convenient. If you spend two nights at Sunrise, you might want to spend at least one of those nights at one of the Sunrise Lakes (instead of at the HS camp itself). You’d have to have a canister to do that.

Depending on how busy they are, the HS camps sometimes let backpackers use their showers (for a small fee). Doesn’t hurt to ask. Vogelsang didn’t have showers, not even for paying guests, but they let backpackers use the (hot and cold) faucets in the bathhouse.
adrianhoff
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

HSC's

Postby holly » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:51 am

Thanks that is very helpful... I'm thinking we might do as you say and stay near the Sunrise lakes the first night in that camp. My only other question is how much do the bear canisters weigh?
Thanks in advance!!!

Holly
holly

Postby BadPepsi » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:25 am

Hi Holly,

Bear canisters weigh 2-3 pounds.

Clouds Rest is incredible - highly recommended.

You could bring a sleeping bag liner to add a few degrees to your bag if you are worried about being cold.
Last edited by BadPepsi on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BadPepsi

Postby Grzldvt » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:38 pm

You could do both, Hoffman is not that difficult, I obtained the summit with a 35lb pack from May Lake in two hours. Did a "no water meal(Pizza)" and stayed on top for the night.
If you get up early enough out of Glen Aulin, you can make May Lake before 2 PM, get camp setup, and tackle Hoffman.

Keep in mind Cloud's Rest has a pretty precarious last 200 yards. If you have a fear of heights, it can be a bit exciting. But Cloud's rest definitely outdoes Hoffman for views.

All the High Sierra camps have bear boxes, but if you want to venture away from them a canister is required.
I agree with Bad Pepsi, bring a sleeping bag liner, May Lake, Sunrise and Vogelsang can get cold.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking