Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

What clothing to pack in mid August, how cold does it get?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

What clothing to pack in mid August, how cold does it get?

Postby Tyler200 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:01 am

Hello everyone,

planning on backpacking in mid August and I was wondering how heavy of warmer clothing I should be packing.

Sounds like I will want to be well prepared for pop-up thunderstorms but was curious how cold the nights might be.

should I be bringing a light fleece jacket, down, if any??
Tyler200
Regular
Regular

Re: What clothing to pack in mid August, how cold does it ge

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:59 am

Usually pretty lightweight clothing is good for August. However much you take is your call. Stink or be willing to do some washing if you want to save weight.

Light down or fleece and a light beanie for camp and the morning chill. Definitely some rain gear and a pack cover. An extra pair of hiking socks. Long pants and shorts, or a pair of light shants. A light long sleeve shirt is also good.

Funny you should bring this up. Timely. Right now, I'm taking a break from actually packing my clothing for a 7-8 day trip starting tomorrow.

Here's my list:

4 t-shirts
4 pairs of boxers
long sleeve button up shirt
1 extra pair of wool socks (eh, maybe) and one pair of cotton 1/4 socks
1 pair of Kuhl shants that I'll be wearing the entire time and rinse out and wear damp if necessary
MHW Microdome hat
rain jacket (no pants)
Icebreaker Kodiak
Arteryx Gamma MX hoodie( I like small and light layers instead of one heavier jacket)
camp/water crossing shoes

That's it. Our daytime temps at 9000-11000 ft are forecast to be in the high 60s-low 70s in the daytime and high 40s-low 50s at night, winds at 5-10 mph with gusts as high as 20-30 at times, if this gives you any indication. August will be be warmer, but t-storms a higher possibility, so your rain gear and pack cover are all that much more important, and I would probably throw in my pants if the chance was consistently above 30-40%.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Tyler200 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:49 am

Haha great timing. :lol: okay thank you for sharing your packing list, gives me a good idea on what I should be bringing
Tyler200
Regular
Regular

Postby balzaccom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:16 pm

Phil's list is a little luxurious for me. I take one indestructible short-sleeve shirt, a long-sleeve synthetic k it shirt that doubles as sleepwear, a lightweight down jacket and a rain shell.

And I take only one change of undies, and wash each night for the next day.

Four t-shirts???
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:31 pm

Why yes, Paul, four t-shirts. It's was almost my demise. But I ripped the tags off my new inflatable pillow to offset some of the weight.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:38 am

What do you do with three that you aren't wearing? grin
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:10 am

balzaccom wrote:What do you do with three that you aren't wearing? grin

I sleep in the second one, do it again the next day, do laundry and rotate the other set the day after that.

I needed it. OMG, the kid is an Army Ranger, and I have never been pushed and sweated so hard in my life. It wasn't just inspirational and a source of parental pride watching him crank out uphills, it was frightening. Felt like I was on a mission, and had to beg him to not try to whip out the headlamp and keep going up and over Red Peak Pass in a day. The only thing that saved me was a big fight and the fact that he likes to fish. I could've brought six t-shirts and not had enough. And then, to go get the car up at Mono Meadow, he went from Curry Village up the four-mile to GP at noon when it was 95 degrees in an hour and a half and said it was fun.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:10 am

My strategy is a little different. I have a long sleeved wicking shirt, an ultralight windbreaker (about 2-3 oz), a down jacket (one of the 10 oz three season ones) and a clean base layer to sleep in. Beanie, liner gloves. There has not been a situation where I have needed more, and I've been snowed on. All of them can layer together. I can throw the rain gear over it all if needed. The windbreaker does great in the cold mornings when I want to pack up everything else and comes off about 15 mins after starting to hike and really warming up.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:30 am

That's basically what I do, AT. But then, I am not chasing young people up Red Peak Pass...or anywhere else!
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:59 am

Yeah, my days of chasing young people are long over... I won't even chase old people any more, in fact. :wink:
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 am

Oh yeah, brutal doesn't even begin to describe it. His MINIMUM standard is rucking with 65 lbs in his pack, plus body armor, FLC, and weapon at 4 mph...all day. Whatever happened to my nice little child that liked to stroll along with Dad? All I heard was "Hurry up, hurry up, hurry up..." from morning till night. I told him to go ahead and hike his own hike and I'll meet him at the next junction. He told me that it doesn't work that way, and I should just "Hurry up". Next time, I think we'll just go car camping. I want a friggin medal, and I think I now have a minor case of PTSD.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking