Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Camping at Sunrise Lakes

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Camping at Sunrise Lakes

Postby joyce19 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:42 am

Hey,

I am contemplating my Half Dome trip next summer.., I figure it is enjoyable to go amid the Perseid Meteor shower. The full moon will be an issue around the pinnacle time to explore Siskiyou County I might want to camp as high as conceivable one day to enhance the conditions. The region around Sunrise lakes is up close to 10,000 ft and isn't too far away from my course. Is this region useful for outdoors..?
Last edited by joyce19 on Mon May 28, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.woofingdog.com
joyce19

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 22, 2018 7:02 am

One of the most popular times to seek high places. The permit may be tough to get. But consider that Yosemite Valley puts out a lot of light pollution... my goal during meteor showers is to be far, far in the backcountry, not next to a bunch of lights. Ansel Adams Wilderness, or John Muir Wilderness, not the parks.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue May 22, 2018 9:16 am

Almost There is absolutely right; the further out you go, the less ambient light you encounter, the better the viewing, although the full moon coinciding is going to detract from that. However, it's undoubtedly best if you find a remote location and camp there for viewing, because walking around between camp and your higher observation point in the dark isn't really a good idea.

AlmostThere wrote:... my goal during meteor showers is to be far, far in the backcountry, not next to a bunch of lights.

My ultimate goal is to not get hit with falling debris.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 22, 2018 9:23 am

I'm sure debris is the least likely thing to happen... pretty sure you are more likely to be in a car accident on the way up there, Phil. :wink:

Probably I'm not going to bother with the Perseids this year at all, tho. The full moon, and the past experiences I've had trying to watch meteor showers and seeing a handful at like 2 am, make me more likely to go backpacking somewhere nice and not worry about it much.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: where is that pond exactly??

Postby dan » Tue May 22, 2018 10:18 am

Riley wrote:bill-e-g , is that one of the Sunrise Lakes or is it a pond further south on the CR trail?

The pond is on the CRT west of Sunrise lakes--near the base of the eastern shoulder of Clouds Rest.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue May 22, 2018 10:19 am

I'm not so sure about that, so I'll bring my climbing helmet, just in case. It's a thing with me, and I've tried self-actuated CBT in the form of standing below squirrels while they're shucking nuts and having my most trusted friends pelt me with gravel. It seems to be working, but still, while you're there at 2am going ooh and ahh, I'm sitting in my tent with my bear can over my head and hoping that my rainfly takes most of the impact, desperately praying for morning to come and all the terrors of outer space to go away. And besides, you never know if one of those meteorites might contain some form of heat-resistant alien DNA that could infect you just by thinking about it. :shock:
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking