Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

whats the whoop whoop animal sounds?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

whats the whoop whoop animal sounds?

Postby bob13bob » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:04 am

what animal is it? I've heard it this week and 6 weeks ago. elk or moose mating call?
bob13bob

Re: whats the whoop whoop animal sounds?

Postby Paddy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:21 pm

bob13bob wrote:what animal is it? I've heard it this week and 6 weeks ago. elk or moose mating call?

Low frequency whomps ?

I heard it on 4 mile trail. A while later I ran into a woman who used to work for Yosemite Park as a biologist/historian (?). She told me it was a mating call of some bird. I don't remember the name.
Paddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Justin-T » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:22 pm

That's not much to go on, but could be sage grouse. Listen to the "Display Call" on this page:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Greater_Sage-Grouse/sounds

This was recorded from very close by, from a distance you often just here the low frequency part (the deep "thump" sound), not the clicks.
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Paddy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKIXaLa93qw

I am pretty sure this is what I heard on 4 Mile Trail. Thanks to Google.
Paddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Since neither elk nor moose live in Yosemite, and it's that time of year, my vote is blue grouse.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Maybe a chupacabra. And the moose and elk in Yosemite only live in Tenaya Canyon but mostly spend their time fighting each other to the death, so they're pretty rare. Or it was Indian spirits that mistook you for a Buffalo Soldier. Or you were having auditory hallucinations. Or it was me hiding there and messing with you so that you would get scared and drop a couple beers. Or it was definitely a grouse thudding like a deep drum.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking