Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First come first serve wilderness permit Tuolumne Meadows

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: First come first serve wilderness permit Tuolumne Meadow

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:12 pm

You could go into Emigrant Wilderness... no quotas. The group size will still be 15 tho.

Desolation has small group sizes... 12 instead of 15. That will happen with very popular, very busy wilderness areas. Rules get even more restrictive in an attempt to preserve the wilderness.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby benshih » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:05 pm

We are actually now all set with Desolation Wilderness with a reserved permit. If you are familiar with it, the group is entering DW at Zone 34 - Susie Lakes, which is a easy 4-mile hike from the Glen Alpine Trail Head. After spending the night in Zone 34, which is the requirement, they can go where ever they want within Desolation Wilderness. I think this will be a good trip anyway.

To answer some of the background questions - this is a group of 3 hikers who are fairly experienced. They are all graduating high school seniors who were all Boy Scouts throughout their youth, all wilderness first-aid trained. They have all backpacked more than 100 miles through multiple outings. They just did a practice hike and was able to do 11 miles fairly easily. In short, I think they are solid. However, they have not backpacked these parts of Yosemite, and we have not gone through the permitting process with Yosemite and Inyo - this is where we lacked experience.

In retrospect, reading all of the comments that were shared, I think they could have done this route. But I was spooked by the ranger and didn't want to risk it...
benshih

Postby Phil » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Well, Desolation is a nice area and I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

I hate to say it, but with what you say about the group size, age and experience level, they could've pulled this trip off easily, and beyond. I would've actually thought it kind of beneath their level. Even more, with such a small number ( I think we all thought an entire troop), you guys could've almost had your choice of permits for just about any trailhead in Yosemite on a walk-up basis. Pretty easy peasy.

Oh well, next time. Have fun.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby benshih » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:36 pm

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I will chalk this one to inexperience but will do Yosemite next time! Appreciate all the help!

In the mean time, prayers for this Ferguson Fire to be quickly and safely contained...
benshih

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking