Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Water along Yosemite Creek Trail in September?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Water along Yosemite Creek Trail in September?

Postby sh3phard » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:49 pm

Phil wrote:I'm sure glad you wrote today, I was getting separation anxiety.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know!! hahaha

Sign and alternate trail I'm talking about at about 3:10.

Awesome! That's just SO beautiful.... I can't wait to be there. Thanks again Phil, that's now very clear!
sh3phard
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:11 am

Jeez, I just looked at the view count on this thread, and even I'm impressed. I hope lots of people found it useful. We covered a lot of places.

Anyhow, Jonathan, one last piece of advice:

To give yourselves an extra advantage going in, before you go up to Young Lakes, since you have the car, dump all but a day or two of your food supplies into one of the bear lockers either at the base of the trail to Dog Lake or lining the parking lot at the wilderness office in Tuolumne. It'll be en-route the next day, so grab it when you come back down. No sense carrying weight you don't have to, and you'll appreciate lighter packs as you get used to things. Leave it in shopping bags or whatever, just not in stuff sacks or anything nice.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sh3phard » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:24 am

Haha, indeed, you guys did a tremendous job! Thanks again Phil.

Good advice indeed, we'll pack our stuff accordingly so we just have our food for our first day and half. Is there a lock or something to the food storage? I'm a bit scared that we get our food stolen for the rest of our trip... :o
sh3phard
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:44 am

Theft of food in lockers is rare, but the nondescript bag you leave it in lessens the temptation. Places like that, backpackers know and leave your stuff alone except to maybe shuffle it around to make room for their stuff. I wouldn't worry about it, but you can also break it down into several lockers if it makes you feel better. You go to the wilderness office lockers and there are hundreds of pounds of people's food in there at any given time. The honor system is largely intact and respected. The lockers are all shared, so if you put a lock on it, they'll cut it off. We leave food for a week or more all the time, so you guys are going to be fine overnight.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sh3phard » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:57 am

Thanks Phil, that’s reassuring. Good to know...
Almost one week to go!
sh3phard
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby sh3phard » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:12 pm

GUUYS! The trip was simply AMAZING! Thanks again guys for all your help!!
We are now back since 2 days and still have our head in YNP! Routes & pictures of our trip are coming soon!!
sh3phard
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:06 pm

Welcome back Jonathan.

Not looking for a full trip report....unless you want to ( although it would be cool to know the details of how it went), but I would love a critique of my route advice. Pros? Cons? Were daily mileages and destinations realistic for you guys? Whatever feedback you want.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking