Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Visibility

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Visibility

Postby bbmq » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:13 pm

What is the overall air quality and visibility like right now? I am seriously considering getting a walk-up permit Sunday or Monday to either Sunrise Trail>Cloud's Rest>Half Dome>Cathedral Lake or Tuolumne Meadows>Donahue Pass>Red's Meadow.

The last time I was on HD there was a wildfire nearby and it ruined the experience, I don't want to go up there is visibility isn't good. And right now the weather report in Mammoth Lakes shows "Widespread Haze" every day.

The alternative is to go later in September but the weather can be dicey and very cold, any recommendations?
bbmq
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Re: Visibility

Postby Phil » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:37 pm

It's been really hazy everywhere. The Ferguson fire is 100% contained, but it's going be be smoldering and producing smoke until it rains. Probably until long after they take the HD cables down in mid-Oct.

Why don't you just use the webcams, specifically, the Yos High Sierra?

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/photosmu ... ebcams.htm
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bbmq » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:52 pm

Thanks a lot, Phil, I was praying it would be otherwise. Maybe I can do Tuolumne to Red's Meadow in late September?
bbmq
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Phil » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:06 pm

bbmq wrote:Maybe I can do Tuolumne to Red's Meadow in late September?

You know how the shoulder season drill goes...

People are mentioning the haze, but I haven't heard any complaining.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:09 pm

I just got back from Tioga Pass. The haze was nowhere to be seen... we drove back through it passing through Crane Flat, dropping to El Portal, drove through the 140 entrance and all the way to Oakhurst before encountering real smoky haze - which at a guess is currently coming from the Lion Fire in Sierra National Forest to the east.

Having driven through the heart of the Ferguson Fire... don't worry too much. Other fires are more the worry now.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Exactly what AT wrote. Our trip to Yosemite last week had clear skies throughout Tuolumne Meadows. Only when we headed down and West into the valley did we see much smoke, and even then it was not bad. A huge difference from two weeks ago.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking