Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

2 night snowshoeing options

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

2 night snowshoeing options

Postby damu21 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 am

currently exploring winter backpacking options. 2 nights snowshoeing Dec 26-jan 1. looks like the best options originate from the badger pass area?
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Re: 2 night snowshoeing options

Postby balzaccom » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:48 am

That's certainly one option. Ostrander Hut is a classic destination.

You could also look at some of the forest service roads in Emigrant Wilderness. Those are all closed in the winter near Pinecrest/Dodge Ridge, and make for some nice adventures.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:18 am

You'll want to pray for snow, as well. right now there are no snowshoe options.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby damu21 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:28 am

hmm, maybe some regular old fashioned backpacking then!
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:30 am

If there is somewhere to park. Badger isn't open and Glacier Point Rd is gated.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:59 pm

Yes, first you have to hope for decent amount of snow. Last year I waited till late March before I felt there was enough snow to make my snowshoe trek in Yosemite doable.

After the snow is there, then you have several options.

I did the Badger Pass to Glacier Point hike via snowshoes in 2 nights/3 days (would have preferred 3 nights, but a storm was coming in). The GP road is groomed (assuming there's enough snow) and well traveled, so it's probably the easiest muti-night snowshow treks in Yosemite.
I camped along the GP trail and near Sentinel Dome. If you can get reservations, the GP ski hut is available for heated accommodations.

As mentioned, Ostrander Hut is also an option from Badger Pass (never been in Winter, myself).

The north rim and destinations from Snow Creek Trail are challenging due to the elevation gain (I found that out firsthand last winter), but if you're up for it and experienced, it is an option.

What is your winter camping experience?

With the lack of rain/snow this Fall in California (one blip in Early Oct, then... nada), I actually am thinking about what non-snow hikes I might do around Thanksgiving. But we may be finally getting some next week, so that may be a moot point (hopefully).
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby damu21 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:04 am

i dont actaullly have any winter experience, but its definitely something i want to do. nothing crazy to start with
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby WanderingJim » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:45 am

damu21 wrote:i dont actaullly have any winter experience, but its definitely something i want to do. nothing crazy to start with

I'd recommend a trial run somewhere. I did a 1 night stay near Donner lake in an area where if I got lost I could walk and hit a road no matter which way I went and had cell coverage.

That's also where I decided to get a real -20 (f) bag. I had tried a bag liner and my regular bag, but it wasn't anywhere near warm enough. You'll need enough fuel to melt snow for water as well.

The Badger pass to Glacier Point is a pretty good first Winter Yosemite hike (once there's snow and they start to groom it). Enough people use it so if you do have problems you can get help. The winter views are also awesome.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:27 am

Where Jim went his first time out, Donner Summit, is a really good and safe place to learn. The movement dynamics of snowshoeing are different than walking, but then again, so is winter camping, so you want to ease in to every aspect of it all. Another good area is above Reno, up at Mt Rose and the Tahoe Rim Trail/out of Tahoe Meadows/Ophir Creek.

Fly into Reno, get a room, rent a car, drive up. Test it out as a day hike, then go back out for an overnight or two after that. Just pick a direction and keep going, camp when and where you can. You're not going to have the big views that Yosemite has, but it's still gorgeous, and your mission the first real time isn't so much to go on some grand adventure, it's to test your abilities and figure out what it takes in as controlled a situation as you need to be safe. Really.

Also, if you're buying your first pair of snowshoes, remember that when you size them for weight and function, you want to factor in pack weight. You generally want to size the snowshoes themselves for your day hiking weight, then add floatation tails to pick up the difference in the extra weight of your pack. You'll have a more versatile, less clunky pair if you do it this way.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:30 am

And don't expect high miles with snowshoes. Glacier Point is wayyyyyyyy too far for a day out and a day back. You would need skis. Dewey Point, at three miles one way, is a much better option - you need more time to set up camp. Instead of tent stakes you use deadman anchors. Instead of building a fire you need more clothing - building a fire in winter in Yosemite is illegal and it's more work than it's worth in winter anyway.

https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/green ... ing-winter
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:00 am

AlmostThere wrote:And don't expect high miles with snowshoes. Glacier Point is wayyyyyyyy too far for a day out and a day back. You would need skis. Dewey Point, at three miles one way, is a much better option - you need more time to set up camp. Instead of tent stakes you use deadman anchors. Instead of building a fire you need more clothing - building a fire in winter in Yosemite is illegal and it's more work than it's worth in winter anyway.

https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/green ... ing-winter

Yes, Glacier point via snowshoes is a 2 night trip minimum.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking