Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

North Rim Current Conditions???

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

North Rim Current Conditions???

Postby Bighead » Mon May 13, 2019 12:55 pm

Anyone going to be hiking the north rim before Memorial Day? I’m looking for any reports or conditions. The snow level right now according to the website is 7000 feet so I’m hoping it will be generally clear of snow but would appreciate any current info, thanks.
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: North Rim Current Conditions???

Postby balzaccom » Mon May 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Snow levels are still at the point where you are going find snow on most of the trails. Remember that the rim of the Valley is 7500-8000 feet. And along Tioga Pass Road, they are plowing through 4-8 feet of snow at those elevations.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Bighead » Tue May 14, 2019 10:24 am

balzaccom wrote:Snow levels are still at the point where you are going find snow on most of the trails. Remember that the rim of the Valley is 7500-8000 feet. And along Tioga Pass Road, they are plowing through 4-8 feet of snow at those elevations.

I’m looking at my map and the north rim trail mainly sits between 7,000 and 7,200 with one small section around Indian And o’clock climbing to 7,700 ft.

I spoke with a backcountry ranger and they said the snow line right now is around 6,800 ft but with the north rim being south facing I’m trying to figure out if the snow line is a little higher in that area, thanks.
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue May 14, 2019 5:30 pm

The top of El Cap is 7500 feet and the trail goes DOWN to it. Eagle Point is around 7700. North Dome is 7500. And the trail over Indian Ridge is over 8,000.

It all depends on your route, but I wouldn't count on this being snow free. Most of that trail is in the forest, where the snow would melt out more slowly, at least in the hollows and canyons. And they are expecting this next storm to drop up to another foot of snow down to 6500 feet.

I am not trying to talk you out of anything, but I am trying to give you a good idea of what you might find up there. It's true that the North Rim gets more sun than the South Rim, but that has more effect below the rim, than up on top of it. The back side of North Dome, for example, I would expect to still have a lot of snow.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed May 15, 2019 11:26 am

Winter storm warnings this week forecasting 1-2 feet of snowfall above 5000.

Best to check right before you go. Regardless of snow levels, melt is going and will be going and therefore, streams will be DANGEROUS.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Thu May 16, 2019 2:05 am

It is going to be pretty much solid snow. My partner in crime and I knew the trail and with an equal amount of snow in the high country we lost the trail around Basket Dome, spent several hours trying to figure where we were and had to reverse. We got back down to the Valley Floor around 10 PM. Be very prepared for night hiking and getting lost as the trail can be obliterated
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu May 16, 2019 6:45 am

Am hearing reports from some trail runner sorts that the trail before North Dome is actually nonexistent, and there are tons and tons of fallen trees...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Thu May 16, 2019 11:22 am

And the current storm passing through California is putting down more snow.

My memorial day weekend plans (primary, backup, and extra backup) are pretty much unlikely to happen, but we'll see what next week looks like.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby robow8 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:35 am

WanderingJim wrote:And the current storm passing through California is putting down more snow.

My memorial day weekend plans (primary, backup, and extra backup) are pretty much unlikely to happen, but we'll see what next week looks like.

Yeah, I already cancelled my Sierra plans, and will instead stay in SoCal. :(
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking