Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hetch Hetchy - Dorothy - Tilden Loop

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hetch Hetchy - Dorothy - Tilden Loop

Postby Pbattler » Wed May 29, 2019 8:39 am

Hi All,

I'm kicking around an idea for a Hetch Hetchy area loop, in September. The basic idea is Hetch Hetchy to Dorothy Lake, via Moraine Ridge and Jack Main Canyon. Then we'd leave the park and follow trails to Tower Lake, go off-trail south past Mary Lake and on to Tilden Lake, continue south past Rancheria Falls, and back to the car.

I'm curious about a few things:

The last time I was at Hetch Hetchy was before the Rim Fire. Has the area around Laurel Lake, etc rebounded or is it a depressing moonscape?

Are any of you familiar with the off-trail portion between Tower Lake and Tilden Lake? I am particularly curious about the pass between Tower Lake and Mary Lake. I'm also open to other ideas, including alternate routes between Dorothy Lake and Mary or Tilden Lakes.

Thank you.
Pbattler
Regular
Regular

Re: Hetch Hetchy - Dorothy - Tilden Loop

Postby huynguyen1 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:01 pm

Laurel looked fine to me a couple years ago. The link below shows the area as we neared Laurel coming from Vernon Lake. Good luck! Looking to head that way myself next week. Hopefully the thunderstorms aren't too bad.
https://yellowbelliedmarmot.tumblr.com/page/35
huynguyen1
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Pbattler » Wed May 29, 2019 8:41 pm

Thank you. Your photos make it look very nice.
Pbattler
Regular
Regular

Postby huynguyen1 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:23 pm

You're welcome. Dug into my records for you and found that this trip took place in late September 2016. Don't remember exactly, but I think it was an average rainfall year. It was warm, not hot, and the falls along the north shore of the reservoir were bone dry. We camped at the Rancheria Creek footbridge, the south shore of Vernon and the south end of Laurel. Happy camping!
huynguyen1
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking