Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Lyell Canyon Wilderness Permit

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Lyell Canyon Wilderness Permit

Postby calkurt73 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi, It's June 20th 2019,Id like to hike up and back through Lyell Canyon, with my grandson, since the pass is closed. The road opens tomorrow on a limited basis, but the Tuolume Meadows Wilderness Center isn't open yet to try for a first come permit. Where else can I go to obtain a permit ?
PS do I need to bring a bear canister ?
calkurt73

Re: Lyell Canyon Wilderness Permit

Postby markskor » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:30 pm

FAQs for Restricted Tioga Road Access
Tioga Road, Yosemite National Park Announces Limited Access Beginning on Friday, June 21, 2019
Q: What if I don’t make it across the corridor during the travel windows?
A: Law Enforcement cars will be sweeping the road at the end of each travel window and locking the gates behind the last car. Any violators will be ticketed.

Q: Do I have to be at the gate in line at 10:00 and/or 3:00 sharp to get through?
A: You will be able to enter the road corridor for pass through travel between 10:00am and 11:00am and 3:00 and 4:00pm, from 5 miles east of Crane Flat and at Tioga Pass. There will be no stopping and no parking allowed anywhere. This includes turnouts, parking lots, side roads and trailheads.

Q: How early should I get in line to be ready to get through the gate?
A: There is no need to line up before the opening times of 10:00am and 3:00pm. There will be administrative traffic with trucks and equipment in the opposite lane. Please do not line up early, or obstruct traffic.

Q: Where and when do I line up for the thru-traffic driving access?
A: On the west side (inside the park), you will wait at Walker Party Gate which is 1 mile from
Tamarack Flat turn off. From the East Side, you will wait at the park entrance at Tioga Pass

Q: Can I day hike on the road corridor?
A: No. This limited access is exclusively for thru traffic from 10-11am and 3 -4pm and dropping off of backpackers. There are no services along Tioga Rd and minimal staff

Q: What services are available right now?
A: There are no services available along Tioga Road during this limited access period.

Q: Will the YARTS and Hiker’s Bus be running?
A: No. The YARTS bus will not start running until the Tioga Road is open without restrictions and the Hiker’s Bus will not begin running until the Tuolumne Lodge is open for the season.

Q: Can I drive my vehicle and park at the trailhead if I have a wilderness permit?
A: No. There is no overnight parking allowed on the Tioga Road between Walker Party Gate andTioga Pass including turnouts, parking lots and side roads.

Q: Can I park at either end of the closure and hitchhike to my trailhead from there?
A: Due to needed staging areas for this thru access period, there is no parking available at either end of the closure. Plan to park in trailhead and wilderness lots along Big Oak Flat Rd, Yosemite Valley and Wawona. It is highly recommended that drop off and pick up logistics be planned before arriving in the park.

Q: With the Tuolumne Wilderness Center closed how do I pick up my wilderness permit if
I am coming from the Eastside?
A: Wilderness permit reservation holders were directed to pick up their permits and bear canisters from Big Oak Flat, Yosemite Valley or Wawona. If this is absolutely not an option, they can rent a bear canister from The Mono Basin Visitor Center and there are a very limited number of self-registration permits available at Tioga Pass when staff is present.

Q: What happens if I finish my backpacking trip after the last limited access vehicle run for the day?
A: You can either spend the night in the Wilderness, camping at least 4 miles from Tuolumne Meadows or choose to hike out of the Tioga Rd corridor.

Q: Can I hike up to Tioga Road from the Valley (or elsewhere) and catch a ride down?
A: While you are free to hike where you choose, coordinating a ride will be essential before you start your trip. Tioga Road remains essentially closed except for two windows each day.

Q: What are the trail conditions for backpacking off the Tioga Road?
A: Conditions are challenging. Over 90% snow cover remains above 8500 feet. Any trip of off Tioga road requires strong navigation skills, expectation of snow travel and high creek crossings.
markskor
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 pm

That's a lot of very good information, Markskor. Thanks for taking the time to post it all.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:55 pm

calkurt73 wrote:PS do I need to bring a bear canister ?

If you intend to stay the night in the Yosemite wilderness the answer to that question will always be YES - and it needs to be one on their list of specific approved canisters. See the Yosemite website for details.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby calkurt73 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:51 pm

Thanks for all the great info, folks. I really appreciate your quick and informative response.
calkurt73

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking