Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mom and Baby Backpacking 8/11. Your advice?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Have you ever been in a place where there was lots of water but no mosquitoes?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:14 am

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Can't Remember
No votes

Total votes : 3

Mom and Baby Backpacking 8/11. Your advice?

Postby Mom and Baby » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:14 am

Hi,

So I have a toddler, and I take her to Yosemite all the time. We're just now getting into backpacking, and I figure I can carry her four miles a day with moderate elevation gain or eight miles with no elevation gain.

Where would you recommend we backpack to at this time of year (August 11th)? Our top priorities are finding a campsite that we can actually make it to at our pace and also has water flowing all around but not many mosquitoes.

Is this even possible?

Thanks,
Tara
Mom and Baby

Re: Mom and Baby Backpacking 8/11. Your advice?

Postby dan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:50 am

Here's some suggestions:
1. Happy Isles (in Yosemite Valley) to Little Yosemite Valley (campground a mile beyond the top of Nevada Falls). Falls and domes along the way. Crowded, bear-infested campground.

2. Little Yosemite Creek. Start at Yosemite Creek Campground and head south. You might make Yosemite Falls (or you can dayhike there)

3. Lyell Fork, Tuolumne River. Start at Tuolumne Meadows and head south along the Lyell Fork. Beautiful canyon.

4. Tuolumne River: Tuolumne Meadows northwest to Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp. Trail is along river. Falls at Glenn Aulin and Waterwheel Falls beyond Glenn Aulin.

A hiker's map of the Yosemite Valley area produced by the NPS is here:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/yosemite ... p_2006.pdf

Mosquitos are not a problem this time of year (August) IF you camp away from wet areas and streams. Camp near a stream but not so close where they close in on you in the evening. An area with a slight breeze helps.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking