Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Merced Pass to Ostrander TH

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Merced Pass to Ostrander TH

Postby S.D.Brian » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:55 am

Hi All,
I'm headed up to Yosemite next Wednesday morning. I have a couple questions i hope some of you can answer.

1, How easy will it be to get a spot at Bridal Vale Camp in the Middle of the week after Labor day. Should i get there earlier than 10.00am?
2, Does anyone have any info about the trail from Merced Pass down to Buck Camp then out towards Ostrander TH?
Thanks.

B.
S.D.Brian

Re: Merced Pass to Ostrander TH

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:43 pm

I don't think you'll have a problem getting a campsite in the middle of the week at Bridalveil. But the campground doesn't have any drinking water available this year, so make sure you bring it with you or have a filter to get it from the creek. It'll close on Sept 23.

If you are worried about the possibility of snow on the trail, or creek crossings, neither of those will be an issue in September. Merced Pass is not so high that there will be any lasting snow patches.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby S.D.Brian » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:58 pm

thanks,
Not worried about snow. More just curios about water sources, previous fire burn areas, cool camp spots, good side trail ( for views ), etc.
S.D.Brian

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:20 pm

That's a less populated corner of the park, and a lot of the trail is in the forest. The pass will probably have views. Places you can get above the treetops occur here and there. When camping at Ostrander Lake, for example, we hiked along Horse Ridge and had some good views of the peaks to the north and the back of Half Dome.

There is generally plenty of water -- I carry 2-3 liters depending on distances between water sources as shown on the map. Streams shown as solid blue line are generally flowing year round, especially in a good snow year like this year. Camping is easy - 100 feet from water and/or the trail is legal camping, closer is illegal and while you will find fire rings closer to water that's generally not Leave No Trace and should be avoided. Don't build new fire rings - use existing ones. Give the campfire ring removal teams a break.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking