Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY


3 day backpacking

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

3 day backpacking

Postby Ute » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:37 pm

Hello all, we are new to backcountry backpacking but would love to explore Yosemite in a 3 day or so hike with overnight camping. Any recommendations? Presumably shuttles are not operating so we need a loop. We have day permits to enter the park in early July. Thank you!
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Re: 3 day backpacking

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:26 pm

You don't need the day permit to enter the park to backpack. You need a wilderness permit, which is a different process -- all online.

Your first step is to go to the Yosemite website and read about how to get a permit. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wpres.htm

There is a full trailheads report. That will be very important to you. If a trailhead shows as full, that means that the 60% of reservable spots on the quota for it are gone already. About 14 days before the intended trip, you have a chance at the 40% that are left - there's a lottery to enter online. If successful, you'll be emailed more instructions and later the permit itself, which you use to get into the park.

If you have never been backpacking, something shorter and easier is better than anything over high passes and many miles. Something like Ten Lakes, Ostrander Lake, Young Lakes, or Merced Lake. You'll also need a bear canister, and the park highly recommends renting or buying one before you get to the park. They can be difficult to pack, as alllllllllllllllll your food, trash and anything else with a scent (lotions, toothpaste, etc) MUST be locked inside it at night. Good to practice at home anyway. So renting at a local sporting goods store or from Wild Ideas (they make the Bearikade) is a good idea.
Posts: 1990
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Central Valley California

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests