Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Weather in the backcountry

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Weather in the backcountry

Postby jennypenny45 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:16 am

Apologies if this info is somewhere already, but I've been hunting around and can't find. Please point me to where I can look up current weather for Yosemite back/high country. I know it is on the Yosemite NPS website somewhere, I had a ranger show me once but I can't find that either. Thanks!
jennypenny45

Re: Weather in the backcountry

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:24 pm

Here's the link:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... u1xhGhKjcc

For the most accurate spot forecast, enlarge the map and drag your cursor to the closest location to your route then left click. You'll be able to see the overall forecast with temperature and specific conditions for area and elevation.

As a general rule, afternoons and eastern areas are more prone to rain and thunderstorms during the summer months. If "weather"/thunderstorms are forecast, plan your travel time to avoid exposed areas and high passes accordingly. Also, figure on temperature differentials to be 2-3 degrees lower per 1000 ft of elevation gain.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking