Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Is the road to Tamarack Flat Campground open?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Is the road to Tamarack Flat Campground open?

Postby jaybee » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:00 pm

I have a wilderness permit with Tamarack Creek as our entry trailhead. It would be nice if we could drive into Tamarack Flat Campground and start from there, but I'm guessing the road is closed since campground camping is closed. Can anyone verify whether that road is open or closed?

Thanks!
- JB
jaybee

Re: Is the road to Tamarack Flat Campground open?

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:14 pm

Have you had the zoom pre-trip lecture yet? That will be your opportunity to ask that question.

I'm going to go with "no." but it's not a bad walk down the road... unless it's 100F, then I hope you have a shade umbrella coming back up it.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jaybee » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:49 pm

Yes I just attended the meeting this afternoon and asked the question. The ranger was "90% sure" it was closed. I was curious if anyone could verify 100%. The extra 2.5 miles at the beginning impacts my choice of camping spots for the rest of the route. There is one new hiker and one hiker recovering from a back issue in my crew, so I am planning to accommodate their needs.
jaybee

Postby dan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:53 am

Consider using the trailhead at the junction of the Foresta Road and Big Oak Flat Road.
You can use that as an alternative if the Tamarack Flat Campground access road is closed (the Old Big Oak Flat Road), or as your first choice.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jaybee » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:46 pm

I sure did consider that, but while it saves a mile (before meeting up with the original route at Cascade Creek) it adds a 1600' climb right a the the beginning of the trip, followed immediately by another 2000' up from Cascade Creek to Ribbon Meadow that we've got to do in any case. While it would be beautiful, it just might kill my newbie to hit them with that first thing. :) I think the plan will just be to start at Tioga Road if we must, and then just take a good long swimming hole break at Cascade Creek. It's flat to there anyway. Then make the climb up to Ribbon Meadows. At least the additional distance hiking in from the road is almost perfectly flat.
jaybee

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:55 pm

The road is a long hilly asphalt walk. Mostly down in, and a steep uphill out. Not flat....
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jaybee » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:39 pm

yeah, if you mean the road to the campground, it sure is. but if we cannot park at the campground, we'll park on Tioga Road at the trailhead and would hike in along the trail from the trailhead, which just follows Tamarack Creek in and is a pretty gentle descent. It's a drop of 400' over 2.5 miles.
jaybee

Postby jaybee » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:40 pm

To be clear, I have looked at the topos for the area, I am just wondering whether the gate is open. I will see if I can find out anywhere else.
jaybee

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking