Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

46 degree bag for 7500-8000 elevation?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: 46 degree bag for 7500-8000 elevation?

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:54 am

Warm socks and a beanie hat! A Nalgene for a hot water bottle. Don't camp at the bottom of the canyon, cold flows downhill and pools in the bottom.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jvquarterback » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:12 pm

schan1w wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm going to take my chance with the 46 degree bag and a down jacket. Will let you know how it goes.

I think you'll be ok. The only night I was cold was the night I slept by myself this past week in a 40 degree bag. I think it was 36 at TM but I also didn't use my rain fly which would have helped. If you have someone with you it obviously makes a ton of difference. I was hot every other night at lower temps and at 10000 ft without a fly.
jvquarterback
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:44 am

If you can keep out of the wind, a fly generally adds about 5-10 degrees to the inside temperature of the tent. Aside from that, you can also make adjustments with a higher R-value on your ground pad. Throw conductive heat retention at it along with better convective heating, you sleep warmer. It's all a system. Gotta love systems.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby schan1w » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:39 pm

I thought I'd report back on my experience. Stay at Yosemite Creek first night, 6500' elevation. Don't know the temperature, but was totally fine with thermal top/bottom and the 46 degree sleeping bag. Air felt cold and if I didn't fully zip and cinch down, was a bit chilly. I estimate the temperature based on forecast and air temp to be about mid 40s.

2nd night I stay on Indian Ridge at 7600' and was warm. Left the bag a little unzip. YMMV, but this bag performed nicely.
schan1w

Postby balzaccom » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:20 pm

Excellent! And thanks for stopping by to tell us how you did!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking