Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Ten Lakes 7-19 - 7/21 Permethrin Failed Miserably

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Ten Lakes 7-19 - 7/21 Permethrin Failed Miserably

Postby Grzldvt » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:19 am

Had some mosquitoes but not not too bad. What was really disappointing is my clothes soaked in Permethrin failed miserably after a single wash. I soaked them and had my first coating just have them buzz me and go away. I washed my pants and shirt in cold water after the Glen Aulin trip, wore them on this trip and the mosquitoes would not only light on me but try to penetrate. This product was a miserable failure the second time around. Natrapel solved the issue as I wiped it all over my clothes and face/hands.
This was a hard trip physically for me. We went in on Sunday and halfway up we got rained on, then hailed on. The hail was big enough to hurt and came down for a couple of hours.. It took a lot out of us so we camped just before the last big climb when it cleared and became sunny.
Did the last big climb and drop on Monday and got a great camp site, but you could see the nasty clouds building. I set up my tent and when the rain/ hail came in. I was nice and cozy in my tent. The thunder was absolutely awesome and reverberated from one side of our canyon to the other side. I did record it, but mostly you can only hear the rain/hail on my tent.
The good news/bad news is I lost 20 lbs, and I was at 180lbs, now down to 160 lbs. I just had zero appetite. At 8200 feet I was able to consume my total Pho noodles from Safeway, but going up and over back down to 8300 feet I could not stomach our Thai Curry Dinner and stuffed a PBJ Tortilla down for dinner. Breakfast on Monday i had hash browns and eggs. The other guys liked both, I gagged on them.
My trail mix, power jelly beans and Reese crackers just nauseated me. So my food consumption on the hike was nil. I thought I was in decent shape but had altitude sickness. Actually my first forey into altitude sickness in 30 years of backpacking.
So a great trip overall, we had a blast, food is an issue for me, so I need to get that figured out.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Ten Lakes 7-19 - 7/21 Permethrin Failed Miserably

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:01 am

Sorry to hear you had a bad time with the bugs. I use a stronger soak ratio with permethrin, get it on Amazon. The spray doesn't seem to stick as well as a good soaking, and I use about an ounce in a bucket of water. The areas I've been hiking (Dinkey Wilderness, Kaiser Wilderness) are pretty much done with the skeets - didn't see any yesterday or Saturday. Must be up high now, and probably will be done soon.

We got rained on yesterday - was fun to sit under the tarp in my hammock and nap in it.

Low/no appetite for the first 24 hrs at elevation is usually the only symptom of AMS I suffer, but I find the older I get, the more that changes. Ce l'vie. But losing 20 lbs, wow. Might be time to check into diamox?
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:15 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your trip, Steve. You had a severe set of symptoms from Covid-19, and it's my understanding that many of the respiratory, appetite, and fatigue symptoms recur for quite some time. My daughter actually tested positive several weeks back, had just the milder symptoms, but is now back to intermittent fatigue. Coupled with allowing her blood sugar to get low, she has some bad moments. Your altitudes were right on that edge of where a lot of people get problems, even at peak physical condition, so I would think your issues are most likely residual.

With food and eating at higher altitudes, I sometimes get the same problem. You know how it is, you burn 4000-6000 calories and you have to put it back on somehow. In my canister there's always one backup meal that I find is a lot easier than just about anything else; it just lives in the bottom until I need it. That's the MH chicken and rice. It's high in sodium, but it's easier to choke down and sits not too bad. Add a little too much water and it becomes basically chicken and rice soup, and you know what they say about chicken soup.

I'm also a fan of the permethrin soak. If you use spray like Sawyers, use multiple, liberal applications and then throw your clothes in the dryer to set it in. The more industrial, higher % brands are better.

As for Diamox, you have to watch it. I used it in Peru in the form of Acedazolamida (acetazolamide) and it worked great. Talk to your Dr before you commit, especially with the Covid, because there might be some sort of contraindication. It's not just something you can take as-needed, you need to start taking it several days ahead of time, without exception. I made that mistake ONCE, heading over Red Peak. Dropped a tablet at Lower Ottoway....chased by a cup of coffee, and I spent the rest of the day dizzy, edgy, and feeling like I was on the brink of some kind of cardiac episode. It sucked, it felt like I was in real danger, so just be careful!
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:46 pm

There's a Facebook group, Altitude Acclimatization, with docs in it - they post a lot of the research about AMS/HACE/HAPE and possible solutions. It's intended as a resource for doctors as well who are not necessarily familiar with altitude issues.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:04 am

Thanks guys, will do a soak of Permethrin versus a spray and see what happens next year.
As far as food intake. this was about the worst for me. Normally I have run a difficult marathon, Big Sur, do a 12 fast miles in a Tahoe Relay Race around the lake and am in excellent shape. Both were cancelled, so I wasn't where I thought I was. It is age over wannabe...LOL
My old company(Humana Health Insurance) did a seminar on COVID-19 and fatigue can be an issue for several months after the fact, just as Phil stated. I am seeing that and it is very, very frustrating. Normally I am the high energy person, not this year.
I think I took on more than I should. Let's face Ten Lakes is a pretty big climb and a big drop, with a big climb out.
So altitude sickness took it's toll on me, not being in excellent shape. I did put in 3 Nuun tablets in a 2 liter bottle and that helped settle me quite a bit the first evening.
As far as the weight loss, I am not too worried about it, I needed it. Loved taking the belt from the second hole to the 5th :mrgreen: to keep my pants up.
I have put a touch back on as I am now on the 4th hole.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:41 am

Grzldvt wrote:As far as the weight loss, I am not too worried about it, I needed it. Loved taking the belt from the second hole to the 5th to keep my pants up.
I have put a touch back on as I am now on the 4th hole.

...And so it begins. lol

Her other major lingering symptom from the get-go, and that's finally just barely starting to come back, was that she lost her senses of taste and smell completely. In fact, how immediately and profoundly noticeable it was is what gave her the first indication that she should probably go get tested.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking