Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

dumb question - early season mosquitos

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

dumb question - early season mosquitos

Postby hiker97 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:45 pm

There have been some recent posts on mosquitos dying off in late season and I've experienced that as well. I've always heard that the peak season is late June and early July, but was wondering how much that varies with the snow level for the previous winter and elevation level. I had a great Sequoia/High Sierra Trail trip in early July '07 that was bug-free but was eaten alive at Vogelsang in early July '08. We also lucked out in mid-June this year up at Ten Lakes and got in while the mosquitos were apparently mating and not interested in people yet. Any thoughts or signs that folks use to anticipate what mosquito level to expect? I loved seeing some snow on the ground and enjoying everything being so green but it sure was nice to enjoy it all without mosquitos versus with the buggers!
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:28 am

Pretty much the signs I use is the calendar...
Last week in June to mid-August I bring a tent and mosquito dope.
This year seemed lite due to the snowfall last winter. Early July this
year at Mathes Crest we got hammered. Mid July at Emerick, Vogelsang,
and Bernice Lakes there were almost none.
That being said, last week there were still a few at Wallace Creek,
Kern River, etc. in SEKI. (not that pleased since I had no tent or spray)
And then... we have two years ago when there was HUGE amounts of
snow and lakes were still frozen over on July 4th.

Anyway, you just have to roll with it...

I really enjoy going to the same place in early spring and late fall
and seeing the difference.. ok, I'm probably babbling...

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:35 pm

I generally go by the calendar, the snow level and the place I'm going. For instance it seems any time during the summer you will get eaten to death at Lake Vernon. Early June I got more bites than I could count this year. Some places they just tend to be more proliferate than other places.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hiker97 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks for the input. That's about the same approach as I was taking, but had just wondered if anyone had figured out anything more exact. You just gotta roll with it!
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking