Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Campsites on the rim

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Campsites on the rim

Postby gohike » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:23 am

Good morning,

New to the forum, but long time backpacker. I am going to do a quick overnighter, as long as 120 is open in mid June, and had a couple questions that I'm getting conflicting answers too.

1. I will be heading down Porcupine Creek, but stopping by North Dome. I am debating my campsite, but I've heard different things from different people. I would like to watch sunset from Yosemite Point, so I think logically, I should be setup to camp along Yosemite Creek. For those that have been on the north rim in this area, are there other areas I should be thinking about to set up camp that is near the point? I will head out the last day along Porcupine Creek back to my car.

2. I checked about picking up my permit. It sounds like we have to pick them up in person this year. I enquired about the backpacking campground and was told , like last year, it is good for the night before and/or after your trip. However, on another thread, I read that the backpackers campground is uncertain for this year. If so, that completely changes when I leave to pull my permit and start off on my trip. Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to get into the mountains!
gohike

Re: Campsites on the rim

Postby WanderingJim » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:22 pm

You can't camp at Yosemite Point, but there is a great campsite right at the boundary line show on NPS's map. Basically, climb the steep ridge to the south of Yosemite point and at the top of the rock outcropping ther are several sites there, some with views of Half Dome and the rest of the Valley. Approx 37.76078946599965, -119.58973494263698

Also, you can camp near the top of North Dome. There are several spots that you'll see before the very top of the Dome. Great views from there too.

And If you go North, there are several sites near the top of Eagle Peak. Yes, more great views.

And you can camp at the top of El Capital as well. Great... well you get the idea... :)
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:22 pm

North Pines and Lower Pines campgrounds often flood during snowmelt, so they open later than other campgrounds, usually July. The backpacker camp is on the back of a loop in North Pines. Since it's a really dry year, they will probably open for car camping earlier, so the backpacker sites should open at the same time. There's a good chance that will be late May or early June. You just have to keep checking the Yosemite website and recreation.gov (where the car campsites are reserved) to see if North Pines is open.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby gohike » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:52 pm

Thank you for the replies. I've camped over by North Dome about 20 years ago. I'm looking forward to checking out the Yosemite Point area. Your potential campsite descriptions sound awesome! Looking forward to getting my backpacking legs underneath me w/ this quick trip to open up the season!
gohike

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking