Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Sunrise Creek, how dry is it?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Sunrise Creek, how dry is it?

Postby jonathanjung » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:33 pm

I'm leading a group of high school students on a trip from Tuolumne Meadows to the valley via Cathedral Lakes, Sunrise Lakes, Half Dome down to the Valley and I was wondering if anyone had any current status of Sunrise Creek. I plan on staying a couple nights near the Half Dome Junction with the JMT and am hoping that the creek isn't dried up with this year being a significant drought year. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
jonathanjung

Re: Sunrise Creek, how dry is it?

Postby Phil » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:08 pm

I'm assuming that by "current" you mean as in now-ish. Even this year it's still going to be awhile before it gets questionable, and Sunrise is pretty tenacious, even if it gets incredibly low.

Here's your wilderness conditions link: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm

They might not be exactly up-to-date, but you can count on the fact that they'll be updating as conditions change measurably. If for no other reason than to avoid an enormous amount of phone calls inquiring about water.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jonathanjung » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:21 am

thanks phil, i did see that wilderness conditions page but it was pretty non-specific so was hoping someone who had maybe passed thru there might have some "now-ish" feedback, but i definitely appreciate your comments on it being pretty tenacious even if its low. that's makes me feel more comfortable. i haven't hiked thru there in a lonnnng time. excited for this trip and to see the kids experience this epic trip for their first time.
jonathanjung

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:11 am

You're welcome.

I took a large group of inexperienced kids the same age on the same route years ago. They had a great time and performed beautifully, but we had some problems with scented items and bears up by lower Sunrise Lake. A couple of the kids had their packs torn up because one wasn't thorough enough in getting a few candy wrappers into the food bag (yep, "lonnnng" time ago) and the other missed a bottle of sunscreen in a side pocket. Interesting and very early morning, to say the least, but they did get to see a couple bears up close and personal. Check their gear and then check it again before bedtime, or at least bring lots of zip-ties and some duct tape.

Have fun!
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking