Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

So let's talk about gear....

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

So let's talk about gear....

Postby Phil » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:02 pm

Has anybody used one of the Asian offerings in aluminum pots with a heat exchanger? Especially used with a Pocket Rocket or Soto canister stove, ie: does the pot base sit right and stable, safe with the stove's supports...? I sent the kid my cooking rig for a trip in AZ, and I don't think he's planning on giving it back, so I'm trying to put together a new one and throw a little more technology at it.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: So let's talk about gear....

Postby balzaccom » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:48 am

I haven't tried one of those yet, Phil. But I have tried loaning stuff to my kids and not getting it back...

That gets better as they get older.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:49 pm

...And because I know that all 448 of you that have visited this thread are waiting with bated breath to know how my cooking rig ended up coming together...

So I went with a Soto Windmaster OD-1RXN stove and a Fire Maple K2 Feast 1.5L pot with a heat exchanger. I wanted the bigger pot for 2 people. I also tried the Jetboil 1.5L Ceramic and the Bulin 1.5L, but the pot supports on the Soto and the base of the pot weren't even close to fitting right and were ridiculously unstable. I'm going to test fuel use and boil times and get back to everyone so that they have something to look forward to in these times of plague. But, for all this, still my favorite combo is my old Brunton Vesta stove (if you can find one, buy it!) and either a Snow Peak Trek 900 or 1400.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:12 pm

I got a remote canister Olicamp to complement my Snow Peak Giga (13 years old and still cooking) - both are 3 oz and still going. The Olicamp works fine with small skillets to fry fish or boil water, and I can add a windscreen. Either works with the Primus heat exchanger pot that went with the Primus stove I was given.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:45 pm

Yeah, the old Snowpeak Litemax and the 1400 are what the kid owns now...

In terms of trying to give all these new people just getting into backpacking something useful to take away from this, piggybacked canister stoves have their place, but they do all tend to sit very high and have a narrow footprint, making them unstable, even with a canister stand. The one big thing though is that when you get to higher altitudes and colder temps isobutane mixtures don't burn well because the propane component doesn't hit its boiling point and vaporize, so you end up with canisters that contain only propane because it won't/can't burn efficiently/at all under those conditions. Having a remote canister adds weight to the stove, but it also allows you to invert it and burn off 100% of the fuel mixture and avoid having to sometimes carry a second full canister to compensate for the 1/3 full now situationally useless canister. Many a hot meal and cup of coffee has been saved, and this along with the huge pot capacity is why I always loved my Brunton. Even if you have something like a Jetboil, flip it upside down and see what happens with performance when you feed the fuel in liquid form and let the stove jet do the atomizing.
Last edited by Phil on Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:50 pm

AlmostThere wrote:The Olicamp works fine with small skillets to fry fish or boil water, and I can add a windscreen.

I did experiment with the Soto a bit. I fired it up and put it 4 feet in front of a 24" industrial fan set on high without a windscreen and it stayed lit. Actually pretty amazing.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking