Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Planning a ride to Yosemite Valley trailhead

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Planning a ride to Yosemite Valley trailhead

Postby bjess002 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:57 pm

I'm planning a (possibly solo) trip this fall, backbacking the north rim trail. I start at the old big oak flat road, ending at mirror lake. The idea is to keep my car parked near either trail head (preference for the latter) and catch a ride to the other before or after, since the trolley isn't running this year. I'll be staying in the backpackers campground on sunday, 9/12, and starting my 4-day trek at big oak the morning of 9/13. If anyone has a similar itinerary and would like to plan on linking up I'd certainly prefer that over hitchhiking. Thanks in advance!
bjess002
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Planning a ride to Yosemite Valley trailhead

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:54 pm

Or you could ask YARTS if they drop folks off at trailheads by request. With the hiker bus not running they might just be willing.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:52 am

AlmostThere wrote:Or you could ask YARTS if they drop folks off at trailheads by request. With the hiker bus not running they might just be willing.

I'm not sure if YARTS would do that there. All the "safe" pullouts are in the other direction of travel along that stretch, so they would have to cross oncoming traffic pulling out and then again pulling back in. Maybe the road to Foresta? Assuming they're still doing the drop off at trailhead thing (which they always have in the past, but...) the solid "yes" would be up on 120 at that big pullout above Tamarack Flat; the other trailhead for that route.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:13 am

I enjoy walking that route down the road when it's closed. Much nicer than hiking up the trail from the other trailhead. We use the TF road when we go to Devil's Dance Floor.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:35 am

I don't get over there too often, but also prefer the upper route and down. That trail up from Big Oak Flat Rd is just hot, exposed, burned scarred, brushy, and pretty much just a pointless couple mile endeavor in climbing to get to where you actually want to be hiking and views you want to see. And I don't know if the road down is closed up at the gate right now, but the campground is, so...
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:23 pm

Besides the trailhead you end up using, that route's first section is bound to be dry until you maybe get to Eagle Creek or even Yosemite Creek a 1/4 mile or so up from the top of the falls. Your usual/seasonal sources of Cascade and Ribbon Creeks are in bad to no shape in a good year by the middle of Sept, and this year is really crazy. I doubt you would even be able to get the end of a pump hose into a crappy puddle. You definitely want to get current ranger info on sources when you're picking up your permit and even be ready with a Plan B route. This is also true of the section from Yosemite Creek to Snow Creek, although you might be able to get something out of Lehamite Creek if you're lucky. Or, probably plan on carrying at least a 2 day supply from the start up to Yosemite Creek, and then beyond that, whatever you'll need for hydration and cooking that night and the next morning before Snow Creek. Or, hope the rains come early and fairly heavily. That rim is hot.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby gjanee » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:34 pm

Phil wrote:I'm not sure if YARTS would do that there. All the "safe" pullouts are in the other direction of travel along that stretch, so they would have to cross oncoming traffic pulling out and then again pulling back in. Maybe the road to Foresta? Assuming they're still doing the drop off at trailhead thing (which they always have in the past, but...) the solid "yes" would be up on 120 at that big pullout above Tamarack Flat; the other trailhead for that route.

So now I'm nervous. I'm planning a 4-day trip Ten Lakes TH -> Ten Lakes -> Polly Dome Lakes -> GCT down from Glen Aulin somewhere -> back to Tuolumne Meadows (I hope that sounds like a reasonable route, but let me know if it could be improved!). But I was thinking of taking YARTS from TM to the Ten Lakes/Yosemite Creek TH. However, traveling westward means that the bus would have to pull into the little loop that is on the south side of the road, i.e., the opposite side of the road. I tried calling YARTS, and the lady who answered had never heard of the Ten Lakes TH and just said, "the driver will pull over where they think it's safe". But heck, that might not be for miles down the road! Am I screwed? Is my idea not going to work?
gjanee
First-timer
First-timer

Postby balzaccom » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:11 am

You'll be fine. The driver will know exactly where to let you off. The woman in the office may not....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:40 pm

The turnout is a loop and a large parking lot, so it's easy for them, and the drivers all know it well. He/she may or may not pull into the dirt lot in the westbound direction (yes, their call), but no problem with you being exactly where you need to be dropped off on either side of Tioga Rd. It's technically called the Yosemite Creek trailhead. They drop you, you cross the road and start walking up behind the bear boxes to the left.

Big Oak Flat Rd that the OP was talking about is a whole other matter with pullouts.

Fine route...good route, but you do want to check the flows at the South Fork of Cathedral Creek with the ranger before you go. You won't be screwed if it's dry as there are a pair of tarns up about a mile and a half (not on your map), but it's just a good place to load up before the climb. If you're dry at the top of the pass, hit up the two tarns on the east slope (downhill side) that you will see on your map if you look closely, because beyond that it'll definitely be dry until you hit Poly Dome Lakes. On the way down to GA, if you need it, and it's flowing or pooled, grab water in Cathedral Creek when you cross it. A liter onboard from there should be more than plenty until you hit the Tuolumne.

You'll like Ten Lakes. Have fun.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:05 am

One more note: There are not ten lakes in Ten Lakes Basin. But there are enough to keep you entertained. And the ones that are farther in are nicer---until they are not. Grin.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking